This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9737 / 53°58'25"N
Longitude: -1.4936 / 1°29'36"W
OS Eastings: 433313
OS Northings: 453183
OS Grid: SE333531
Mapcode National: GBR LQ0H.F9
Mapcode Global: WHD9S.1D12
Entry Name: Stables, Wall Linking Stables and House and Garden
Listing Date: 8 March 1952
Last Amended: 12 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149948
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330677
Location: Follifoot, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Follifoot
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Spofforth with Kirk Deighton
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 35 SW FOLLIFOOT RUDDING LANE
(east side, off)
4/14 Stables, wall linking
stables and house and
8.3.52 garden (formerly listed
under Rudding Park House
and Follifoot gateway)
Remains of former stable block, now stores. 1805-24 with alterations 1950-
71. For the Honourable William Gordon and Sir Joseph Radcliffe, completed
by R D Chantrell, and alterations by Claude Phillimore for Captain Everard
Radcliffe. Coursed squared gritstone, Westmorland slate roof. Single
storey, 2 ranges: a tall 3-bay block to west and a lower block at right-
angles, to south. Main block: central projecting bay with wide central door
with window of 24 panes above, flanked by small-paned sash windows with flat
arches. Eaves cornice and blocking course. Hipped roof. Central bay
surmounted by clock and bell-cote with lead roof. Flat-roofed bay to right
has round-arched opening with C20 double board doors. South block: central
round-arched opening with C20 double board doors and triangular pediment.
Board door left, window and door with overlight to right. Ashlar copings to
outshut roof left, and central pediment. Interiors not inspected. The
south range gave access to glass houses which stood against the south wall,
demolished since 1966. An arched building, probably a coach house, was
standing on the north side of the stable yard in 1949 but was demolished
1950-1960 when a large service block was taken down between the house and
stables. The coach house appears to have been rebuilt as a garden shelter
on the south side of the wall linking the stables with the house, and the 4
sashes with glazing bars in this wall are the remains of the ground floor of
the 2-storey service block. A mid-C20 single-storey range, not of special
interest, now stands against the north side of the wall. Rudding Park was
bought by Sir Joseph Radcliffe in 1824 and his architect, R D Chantrell
(designer of Leeds Parish Church) completed the building, including the
service range on the west side of the house. Captain Sir Everard Radcliffe
began to redevelop the buildings in 1945, and by 1972 when the property was
sold, the service block had been reduced to a screen wall, and the north
stable block was transferred to the south side of the wall as a garden room.
The architect involved was Mr Claude Phillimore. A G L Hellyer, "A New
Garden in a Reptonian Setting. Rudding Park, Yorkshire," Country Life,
June 24th 1971, pp 1592-1594. Arthur Oswald,"Rudding Park, Yorkshire, I,"
Country Life, February 4th, 1949.
Listing NGR: SE3331353183
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings