This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9805 / 53°58'49"N
Longitude: -1.4055 / 1°24'19"W
OS Eastings: 439087
OS Northings: 453987
OS Grid: SE390539
Mapcode National: GBR LQMD.JV
Mapcode Global: WHD9T.C6ZT
Entry Name: Walls of Walled Garden with South Building and 3 Gateways with Gates
Listing Date: 30 September 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149964
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330607
Location: Great Ribston with Walshford, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, LS22
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Great Ribston with Walshford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 35 SE GREAT RIBSTON RIBSTON PARK
5/33 Walls of walled garden
with south building and 3
gateways with gates
Walls of walled garden, with building on south side and gateways on west and
east sides. Late C18 and possibly mid C19. Walls and building red brick,
English bond. Approximately 3.5 metres high, with ashlar coping. Building
on south side: 2 storeys, 3 bays, north face has central round-arched
opening, flanked by 12-pane sash windows. 3 windows above, of 9 and 12
panes. Brick sills. Parapetted roof. The archway leads through to a
greenhouse or conservatory built against the raised south wall of the
garden. 2 gateways and gates at north ends of east and west walls.
Square-section brick piers with banded cornices and urn finials.
Double-gates with ramped tops. Arrow-headed bars, pendants to top rails;
lock rails with circles and arrowheads. The gateways stand opposite each
other and originally a wide path crossed the gardens at this point. Gateway
at south end of west wall: sandstone Gothic arch, double-chamfered and with
hood-mould. Double gates 1 metre high, wrought-iron. Bars and arrow-headed
dog bars. Scrolled top rail and side panels. This archway is surmounted by
a huge grotesque Janus head from the C17 garden layout. The opening forms
an entrance from the garden into the Pinetum created by Mr. Joseph Dent
after 1857. Many of the 70 varieties of fir trees planted at that time
survive in this part of the park. 'The garden is now a paddock. Former
gardener's house and bothy at north end converted C20 and not of special
interest. Butlers house on east side not of special interest.
H. Speight, Nidderdale, 1894, p195.
Listing NGR: SE3908753987
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings