This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9765 / 53°58'35"N
Longitude: -1.3481 / 1°20'53"W
OS Eastings: 442852
OS Northings: 453578
OS Grid: SE428535
Mapcode National: GBR MQ0G.Y8
Mapcode Global: WHD9V.899W
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 30 September 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149974
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330638
Location: Hunsingore, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, LS22
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Hunsingore
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 45 SW HUNSINGORE CHURCH STREET
6/59 Church of St. John the
Church of St. John the Baptist. 1867-68 by Charles Kirk of Sleaford for
John Dent of Ribston Hall. Pink sandstone and ashlar, Wesmorland slate
roof. C14 Gothic-style 4-bay nave with north and south aisles; tower of
3 stages with tall broach spire at west end of south aisle; south porch;
2-bay choir with apsidal chancel. South porch has hood-mould with head
stops (possibly Queen Victoria and the donor). Main door has fine wrought-
iron strap hinges. 2- and 3- light plate tracery windows throughout.
Lucarnes to spire. Off-set flat buttresses to chancel. Decorative
stonework to eaves, ashlar copings. Interior: lofty arcade with pointed
arches to south aisle, original fittings throughout, including font beneath
tower, pulpit, fine organ and reredos with decorated polychrome tiles. Grey
marble floor to chancel. Original light fittings. Window glass: west end
by Meyer of Munich, east end by Hughes of London. Stone memorial to Sir
Henry Goodricke, d.1833, at east end of south arcade. Many brass memorials
to members of the Dent family, including one to Joseph Jonathan Dent Dent
(sic), d.1907 after a ministry of 52 years in the parish. H. Speight,
Nidderdale, 1894, p.151.
Listing NGR: SE4285253578
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings