This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9325 / 53°55'56"N
Longitude: -1.6246 / 1°37'28"W
OS Eastings: 424746
OS Northings: 448548
OS Grid: SE247485
Mapcode National: GBR KQ3Z.22
Mapcode Global: WHC8S.0FN4
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149989
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330565
Location: Stainburn, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, LS21
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Stainburn
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Weeton with North Rigton and Stainburn
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 24 NW STAINBURN CHURCH LANE
4/96 Church of St Mary
Church of St Mary. C12 and C17; 1894 restoration and addition by C Hodgson
Fowler. Gritstone rubble, graduated stone slate roof. 3-bay nave with
south porch and bellcote, one-bay chancel with north vestry. Nave: south
porch has round arch and dripmould with worn human-head terminals; trefoil
recess above; inner door with-plain tympanum. Cross-window to left of
porch, narrow lancets to right, flanking a pointed-arched window with crude
dripmould with human-head terminals. Bellcote at east end has 2 arches. A
2-light double-chamfered mullioned window in north wall of nave, and a
narrow quoined lancet window at west end. Chancel: narrower and lower than
nave. Blocked south door, with 3-light double chamfered mullion window
under stepped hoodmould to right. Perpendicular-style east window of
3 lights. Shaped kneelers, ashlar coping,gable crosses. Interior: fine
Norman font with circular stem and polygonal bowl with interlaced arcading
and relief designs. C12 round-headed chancel arch of 2 orders with plain
imposts. Pews are C16 and C17. The 1894 restoration included refitting the
chancel, reroofing, construction of the vestry and relaying grave slabs.
The church is now redundant and is maintained by the Friends of Friendless
Churches. For further information see H Speight, Kirkby Overblow and
District, London, 1903, p 198.
Listing NGR: SE2474948548
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings