This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1809 / 54°10'51"N
Longitude: -1.4072 / 1°24'25"W
OS Eastings: 438787
OS Northings: 476282
OS Grid: SE387762
Mapcode National: GBR LNM3.41
Mapcode Global: WHD8V.C54Q
Entry Name: Baldersby Park House
Listing Date: 10 July 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150028
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330444
Location: Rainton with Newby, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, YO7
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Rainton with Newby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 37 NE RAINTON WITH NEWBY BALDERSBY PARK
3/68 Baldersby Park House
House. 1718-21 with extensive C19 refenestration and C20 alterations to
interior. By Coten Campbell for Sir William Robinson. Ashlar, with
Westmorland slate roof. Palladian style. 2 storeys. 5-bay square
principal block set forward with 3-bay flanking pavilions joined by
wings. Central 3-bays have 4 attached giant fluted Ionic columns
carrying entablature and dentilled triangular pediment with scrolled
foliage and deep eaves. liodillion eaves cornice. Parapet with
balustrade. Flat roof with gable to pediment and chimneys to each side.
Central panelled double door flanked by pilasters with entablature under
radial fanlight in architrave with keystone moulded and with head.
Architraves with triangular pediments to ground floor windows; eared and
shouldered architraves to first floor windows, all windows plate glass
sashes. Left return: 5 bays, continuing in style of front. Central
door flanked by Ionic columns with alternate frosted rustication and
plain blocks, large rusticated voussoirs and triangular pediment above.
Segmental pediments to ground floor windows. Left return: 7 narrower
bays, continuing in style of front, but all openings C19 or C20 except
central door with Ionic frosted-rusticated columns, entablature and
dentilled triangular pediment. Wings to left and right of main block
each have a colonnade of 4 Ionic columns, that to the left now glazed,
with balustrade over and a giant Diocletian window with blind outer
lights to first floor. Pavilions: each of 2 storeys, 3 bays. Central
tripartite windows with triangular pediment to ground floor, partly
blocked and concealed by ivy in left pavilion. All windows plate glass
sashes. flipped roofs with central stacks. Interior: front room, left
side - a marble fireplace with draped caryatid holding lamps. Some
possibly C18 plasterwork. Front room, right - marble fireplace with
Corinthian columns and mask with vine leaves. Left wing, front room has
much altered fireplace with possi'Dly C16 frieze of putti and shield in
strapwork surround. Marble plaque above with relief of Adam and Eve
expelled from Eden. C19 and C20 alterations include removal of a
partition wall to enlarge the front room, left, and relocation of
fireplace to make it central to the enlarged room. C18 and C19
extensions to rear. Formerly known as Newby Park, this was the first
villa to be built in England in the Palladian style (H Colvin and
J Harris, pp 97-105). George Hudson, the 'Railway King' bought the
estate from the Earl de Grey in October 1845 and sold it to Viscount
Downe in 1854. L. Boynton, 'Newby Park, the first Palladian Villa in
England' in H Colvin and J Harris, (eds.), The Country Seat. Studies in
the History of the British Country House, London, 1970, pp 97-105.
Listing NGR: SE3878776282
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings