History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Stables, with Clock Tower and Wall Adjoining Norton Conyers House

A Grade II Listed Building in Norton Conyers, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1809 / 54°10'51"N

Longitude: -1.5107 / 1°30'38"W

OS Eastings: 432030

OS Northings: 476239

OS Grid: SE320762

Mapcode National: GBR KNW3.Q0

Mapcode Global: WHC7N.R5SN

Entry Name: The Old Stables, with Clock Tower and Wall Adjoining Norton Conyers House

Listing Date: 22 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150060

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330423

Location: Norton Conyers, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Norton Conyers

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
West Tanfield

Listing Text

SE 37 NW NORTON CONYERS NORTON CONYERS

2/47 The Old Stables, with
clock tower and wall
22.7.55 adjoining Norton Conyers
house
-

GV II

Stables, now outbuildings, and adjoining wall. C17 and C18. Roughcast
brick with brick and stone rubble wall. Westmorland slate roof and
stone slates. A long-single storey range of it bays with 2-storey bay
with outshut on right and a wall projecting from the 2-storey bay
linking clock tower to house. Single storey range: entrances - wooden
garage doors to left, 2 narrower plank doors to right and centre.
5 Yorkshire sashes, most with leaded lights, and two 9-pane, unequally
hung sashes in flush wood architraves to right. Band above windows,
stone slate roof, 2 short brick stacks on ridge. 2-storey bay has plank
door with rectangular 2-light window over and a wooden cross-window
above. Band above ground floor window continues from single storey
range. Ashlar gable coping with shaped kneelers and Westmorland slate
roof. Brick chimney to rear left corner. Wooden cupola above has
square base with clock and circular bell tower over with columns
supporting domed roof with finial. Wall: approximately 6 metres high,
rendered on south face and with ashlar coping. Narrow, flat arched
opening. Outshut to right of wall abutting right return of clock tower:
single storey with ashlar coping carrying lead urns decorated with masks
and pineapple finials. Single storey range continues to left around
north side of yard as facade only, terminating with a weathered ashlar
gate pier composed of a base with balusters supporting the remains of
2 Corinthian columns with plain pediment and cornice over.


Listing NGR: SE3203076239

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.