History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gazebos in Gardens of Numbers 7 and 8

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ripon, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1371 / 54°8'13"N

Longitude: -1.5279 / 1°31'40"W

OS Eastings: 430945

OS Northings: 471350

OS Grid: SE309713

Mapcode National: GBR KNSL.0Q

Mapcode Global: WHC7V.H8PS

Entry Name: Gazebos in Gardens of Numbers 7 and 8

Listing Date: 27 May 1949

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150140

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330193

Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Ripon

Built-Up Area: Ripon

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Ripon

Listing Text

SE 3071 RIPON PARK STREET
1/19 (north side)
27.5.49
Gazebos in gardens of
Nos 7 and 8

II*

Early C18, perhaps linked in mid C19. Red brick. Ashlar dressings. Pyramidal
pantile roofs. Two 2-storey pavilions with plaster coves, ashlar bands and rusticated
ashlar quoins, linked by a 2-storey gallery (which has brick over-sailing courses to
rear). The ground floor of the latter is divided into 4 brick tunnel-vaulted bays
reached through semi-circular arches with rusticated ashlar jambs and voussoirs. The
first floor has an ashlar balustrade with balusters of square plan, and with
umbrella-shaped knobs 1/3 way up; piers with some traces of ornamental carving on
their fronts. Rear of gallery has 4 niches with rusticated ashlar jambs and voussoirs
set against a wall which only reaches up to their impost level. Gallery reached by
doors from first floor of each pavilion, that from No 8's with a 2-centred arch.

History. Although little is known about this unusual building, the property was owned
by the Baynes family from 1679 until 1791. They may well have been built by 1719,
when Richard Baynes' will refers to the burgage as "Cupola Close". The only detailed
C18 map which shows them does not show the link, which is the most unusual feature,
and it might therefore be C19. However, everything about the link (except the
apparently mid C19 doorway from the second floor of No 8's pavilion onto the gallery)
appears to be contemporary with the 2 pavilions. Pending further evidence, the
building history remains a mystery.


Listing NGR: SE3094571350

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.