History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Spa Baths

A Grade II Listed Building in Ripon, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1361 / 54°8'9"N

Longitude: -1.5275 / 1°31'39"W

OS Eastings: 430966

OS Northings: 471242

OS Grid: SE309712

Mapcode National: GBR KNSM.22

Mapcode Global: WHC7V.H9TJ

Entry Name: Spa Baths

Listing Date: 11 June 1980

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150142

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330198

Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Ripon

Built-Up Area: Ripon

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Ripon

Listing Text

SE 3071 RIPON PARK STREET
1/279 (south side)
11.6.80
Spa Baths

II

1904-5. A relatively utilitarian structure with an exceptionally elaborate front.
Red brick, with orange moulded terracotta dressings. Slate roof. One storey, with
2 storey centre piece. This fronts a pyramidally roofed foyer with an ornamental
glazed tile interior, and a glazed clerestory roof: parapet, rising to central
cartouche, and flanked by pilasters, outer ones with ball finials. Round-arched
doorway, with segment-shaped transom, flanked by pilasters, then round-arched
side-lights. Porte cochere with depressed arches between massive piers with
diagonally-placed buttresses rising to complex finials. Mullion and transom windows
either side, 4 bays to east, 3 to west, nearest bays with segmental pediments in
parapet. Rainwater heads dated 1904, and case iron downpipes.

Exceptionally inventive moulded terracotta ornament covering the whole front, mainly
Arts and Crafts in character, but in parts distinctly Art Nouveau.

The foundation stone was laid in 1904 to commemorate the tercentenary of King James I;
Charter. It was opened in 1905 by Princess Henry of Battenberg, accompanied by
Princess Ena (subsequently the last Queen of Spain).


Listing NGR: SE3096671242

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.