History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Stokesley, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4699 / 54°28'11"N

Longitude: -1.1941 / 1°11'38"W

OS Eastings: 452329

OS Northings: 508583

OS Grid: NZ523085

Mapcode National: GBR NJ3R.8F

Mapcode Global: WHD7D.MXL5

Entry Name: The Methodist Church

Listing Date: 20 July 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150198

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332042

Location: Stokesley, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, TS9

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Stokesley

Built-Up Area: Stokesley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Stokesley with Seamer-in-Cleveland

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Stokesley

Listing Text

NZ 5208 NW STOKESLEY THE METHODIST CHURCH

High Street
(north side)
11-/10/10000

GV II

Methodist Church. 1866. Designed by Herbert Isitt of Bradford. Rock
faced stone and brick with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with
raised and coped gables with kneelers and finials. West gabled front
has slightly projecting gab led porch, with pointed arched entrance
with 2 shouldered doorways with plank doors, between a column and
above a quatrefoil. Eitherside are single lancers and above a central
3 light pointed arched window with Geometric tracery, flanked by
single lancers, above again in the gable 3 ring lancets. Eitherside
of this facade single octagonal turrets topped with spires, eitherside
curved single storey wings each with a 4 arch blind arcade, topped by
a parapet with smaller octagonal turrets beyond. The side and rear
walls are brick with plain ashlar dressings. The nave has alternating
2-light pointed arched windows and short lancets. Beyond a cross
wing with parish rooms and meeting hall. Interior: Retains its
original paneled wooden roof. West gallery over the porch supported
on two ornate columns. The short chancel contains an ornate organ
case. The eastern reading desk has been partly dismantled and moved.
The nave retains most of its pews. Most of the windows contain late
C19 stained glass.


Listing NGR: NZ5232908583

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.