This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.3605 / 54°21'37"N
Longitude: -1.4774 / 1°28'38"W
OS Eastings: 434055
OS Northings: 496234
OS Grid: SE340962
Mapcode National: GBR LL30.YN
Mapcode Global: WHD7V.8NQJ
Entry Name: Little Danby Hall
Listing Date: 11 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150215
English Heritage Legacy ID: 332080
Location: Yafforth, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL7
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Yafforth
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
YAFFORTH MOUNTSTROLL LANE
SE 39 NW
5/35 Little Danby Hall
Farmhouse and stables, 2 flats now in part of stable block. C17, C18, C19
and 1925 by Philip Tilden. Red brick with Welsh slate, stone slate and
pantile roofs. Main house with wing to right and stable block to far right
linked by wall with gateway to rear stable and with gate piers to rear of
this. Main house of three blocks. Left block: C19. 2 storeys, 2 bays.
Brick in Flemish bond. Sashes with glazing bars and flat brick arches.
Central block, setback. C18. 2 storeys, 2 bays. Central glazed C20 door
with stone architrave of Roman Doric pilasters, frieze and cornice. On
either side sashes with glazing bars and flat brick arches and same above.
Pediment with stone coat of arms in tympanum. Right block: C19. 2 bays,
2 storeys. The left bay has C20 2-storey canted bay window with sashes.
Right bay has 2 sashes with glazing bars and flat brick arches. Stone
cornice over all 3 blocks. Welsh slate roof, ashlar coping. Brick end
stacks and 2 ridge-stacks. Adjoining wing to right of house: C17. 2
storeys, 5 bays, right-hand bay set back. Board doors in bays 2 and 4 with
quoined stone surrounds and lintels with keystones. To right of door in bay
4 an 8-pane side-sliding sash. First floor: C20 4-light leaded casements in
all 5-bays. Dentilled brick eaves. 2 rows of stone slates at base of
pantile roof. Ridge stack. Stable block to far right by Philip Tilden,
1925. Front block adjoining C17 wing of house: single storey, 4-bays. 2-
light leaded casements in chamfered stone surrounds with keystones. 2 rows
of stone-slates at base of pantile roof. Shaped kneelers and ashlar coping.
4 louvres on ridge. Screen wall joining the 2 parallel blocks of stables
and facing the road has a double-board door with a segmental brick arch
under a Dutch gable with stone coping and acorn finial, and a square,
boarded opening with corbelled cill in gable of each stable block.
Chamfered-rusticated brick gate piers with cornices to north of stable
block. Rear of main house has a re-set quoined, stone door surround with
keyed lintel inscribed 'T.M. 1756'.
Listing NGR: SE3405596234
Other nearby listed buildings