History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Ouseburn, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0501 / 54°3'0"N

Longitude: -1.3155 / 1°18'55"W

OS Eastings: 444912

OS Northings: 461782

OS Grid: SE449617

Mapcode National: GBR MP7L.ZX

Mapcode Global: WHD9G.RGRH

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 15 March 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150284

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331830

Location: Great Ouseburn, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, YO26

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Great Ouseburn

Built-Up Area: Great Ouseburn

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Aldwark

Listing Text

GREAT OUSEBURN MAIN STREET
SE 4461-4561
(north-east side)
9/15 Church of St.Mary
15/3/66
GV II*
Church. Norman tower with C13 belfry; C14 arcades, with vestry and
aisles rebuilt 1820; C15 chancel and south chapel of 1883. Ashlar stone
with sandstone and red brick vestry; stone slate roofs. West tower;
3-bay aisled nave; chancel, north vestry and south chapel.
3-stage tower on chamfered plinth. Inserted lancet in first stage, west
face, and slit lights to south on first and second stages: second-stage
light has reset corbelhead above. Clock face to west in second stage.
Bell openings on all faces are paired round-headed chamfered lights with
squared centre shafts, closed by pierced shutters. Chamfered belfry
string course; embattled parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles above
waterspouts to east, west and south. Pyramidal roof. South aisle west
end contains pointed double-chamfered doorway, with board double doors,
beneath hoodmould. North and south aisle walls each contain three pointed
2-light windows with Y-tracery, beneath hoodmoulds. South chapel has
chamfered plinth and offset west buttress. Moulded pointed priest's door-
way and reset square-headed window of three cusped lancets to east. C19
Perpendicular window in chapel east end. Square-headed 2-light window in
chancel south wall, and similar in north wall, partly obscured by lean-to
vestry. Perpendicular east window in double-chamfered pointed opening.
Interior. Round, double-chamfered tower arch on rectangular responds with
plain imposts, coved on lower side. Arcades of tall, pointed, double-
chamfered arches on slender cylindrical columns with moulded octagonal
caps. Slightly stilted, two-centred, double-chamfered chancel arch on
half-octagonal responds. Monuments: two wall monuments by Fisher of York
on chancel north wall: a draped urn on a pedestal to Elizabeth Young,
d.1779; and a panel in carved surround surmounted by a slender urn, to
Sarah Horsfield, d.1780.


Listing NGR: SE4491261782

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.