History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kirby Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Kirby Hall, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0425 / 54°2'32"N

Longitude: -1.3023 / 1°18'8"W

OS Eastings: 445787

OS Northings: 460947

OS Grid: SE457609

Mapcode National: GBR MPBP.VM

Mapcode Global: WHD9G.ZN1B

Entry Name: Kirby Hall

Listing Date: 12 December 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150293

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331847

Location: Kirby Hall, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, YO26

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Kirby Hall

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Aldwark

Listing Text

KIRBY HALL KIRBY HALL ESTATE
SE 4460-4560
10/32 Kirby Hall
GV II
Service wing of country house, now house. c.1755, altered c.1920 when
original house demolished. By Lord Burlington and Roger Morris for
Stephen Thompson. John Carr was Clerk of Works. Limestone ashlar on
plinth, left return rendered; sandstone doorcase; slate roof.
2-storey-and-attic, 2-window front with 1-storey, 4-bay range set back at
right. Entrance in left return. All windows are sashes with stone sills,
those on ground and attic floors 6-pane and on first floor 12-pane. Plain
flush lintels to all windows. Raised first floor and attic bands, and
moulded eaves cornice. Four stacks with heavily corbelled cornices on
hipped roof: two on ridge, and one on each side of roof hip. Left
return: door and doorcase from original house inserted to form new
entrance. Doorcase has moulded surround beneath scrolled-console cornice
hood and contains half-glazed door. Rear: repeats front, with 9-pane
sashes on ground floor. 1-storey range has two board doors to left, and
half-glazed door and small sash window at right. Moulded eaves cornice
beneath plain parapet. The house, originally comprising a wing of the
Hall, is the only surviving part of the important country house illus-
trated in Vitruvius Brittanicus, Vol.V, plates 70 and 71. See also:
H.Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects, 1660-1840;
Country Life,17 February, 1972; York Georgian Society Annual Report for
1985; York Georgian Society, The Works in Architecture of John Carr.


Listing NGR: SE4578760947

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.