This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1032 / 54°6'11"N
Longitude: -1.4702 / 1°28'12"W
OS Eastings: 434738
OS Northings: 467612
OS Grid: SE347676
Mapcode National: GBR LN5Z.HV
Mapcode Global: WHD96.D446
Entry Name: Former Orangery and Gateway with Gate to Right Approximately 100 Metres North East of Stable Block at Newby Hall
Listing Date: 29 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150309
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331789
Location: Newby with Mulwith, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Newby with Mulwith
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
The following amendments should be made to the entry for the Former orangery and gate-
way with gate to right approximately 100 metres north-east of stable block at Newby
Hall (Item 1/32):-
Line 20 of the list description should be amended to read:-
'used in Weddell's own design, the originals of which survive. In c1950 the',,,,
SE 36 NW NEWBY WITH MULWITH NEWBY PARK
1/32 Former orangery and
gateway with gate to
right approximately 100
metres north-east of
stable block at Newby
Orangery, and gateway with gate, now unused. 1790 with mid C20 alterations.
By William Weddell for himself with contributions by William Belwood.
Rendered brick lined in imitation of ashlar, sandstone, grey limestone and
terracotta dressings, grey slate roof. Single storey, 7 x 1 bays, the
central 3 bays projecting as a canted bay with central double 6-panel doors
under an overlight with hoodmould. Narrow 8-pane sashes to either side.
Bays 1, 2, 6 and 7 have 16-pane sashes. The lower glazing bars have been
removed from all windows. Hoodmoulds and plain architraves with projecting
stone sills throughout. The bays are articulated by pilasters rising from
the moulded plinth; the outer 2 bays have pilasters with recessed panels and
dentilled capitals, the central 4 pilasters are more ornate, the upper half
of each having a painted terracotta female figure with fruit and flowers in
relief. The capitals and frieze are ornamented with fluted, dentilled and
triglyph motifs. Moulded eaves cornice and blocking course. Hipped roof
with conical central roof over canted bay; central stone stack to rear of
ridge. Gateway to right: segmental arch with projecting lintel; the walling
above ramped to each side, with a central opening as if intended to carry a
piece of sculpture. Gate with S-scroll motif in 4 panels. Belwood
submitted designs for a garden room to William Weddell and features were
used in Weddell's own design, the originals of which survive. In c1970 the
building was used as a tea room when the grounds were opened to the public.
J Low, 'William Belwood, Architect and Surveyor', Yorkshire Archaeological
Journal, 56, (1984), p 142.
Listing NGR: SE3473867612
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings