This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1016 / 54°6'5"N
Longitude: -1.4697 / 1°28'11"W
OS Eastings: 434772
OS Northings: 467430
OS Grid: SE347674
Mapcode National: GBR LP50.LF
Mapcode Global: WHD96.D5CG
Entry Name: Two Lead Water Tanks on Terrace West of Newby Hall
Listing Date: 29 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150310
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331791
Location: Newby with Mulwith, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Newby with Mulwith
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 36 NW NEWBY WITH MULWITH NEWBY PARK
1/34 Two lead water tanks on
terrace west of Newby
2 tanks. Late C17 - early C18 for Sir Edward Blackett. Lead.
Approximately 60 centimetres high and 1.2 metres long. The sides and ends
are decorated with armorial motifs in relief. The shields on the ends have
the Blackett arms: a chevron between 3 mullets, 3 escallops in the field.
They were probably used originally to collect rain water from the roof of
the house. Sir William Blackett (d1680) was a very eminent and successful
merchant who was sheriff and later MP for Newcastle. He owned large estates
and coal mines in Northumberland and in his will he left to his eldest
surviving son, Edward, the money to buy an estate of £500 in Northumberland,
Durham or Yorkshire, as well as shares in manors and collieries in
Northumberland. The estate bought was probably Newby, from Sir Jordan
Crossland in 1689.
Listing NGR: SE3477267430
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings