History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Scotton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0299 / 54°1'47"N

Longitude: -1.5037 / 1°30'13"W

OS Eastings: 432604

OS Northings: 459438

OS Grid: SE326594

Mapcode National: GBR KPYV.74

Mapcode Global: WHC87.WY3Z

Entry Name: The Old Manor House

Listing Date: 8 March 1952

Last Amended: 29 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150317

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331810

Location: Scotton, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Scotton

Built-Up Area: Scotton (Harrogate)

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Scotton

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Knaresborough

Listing Text


NORTH YORKSHIRE
HARROGATE
5338

SE 35 NW SCOTTON MAIN STREET
(west side)

5/53 The Old Manor House
(formerly listed as Guy
8.3.52 Fawkes House)

GV II


House. C19 and C20 enclosing C16 building. Timber framing with reused
stone - a mixture of gritstone and limestone. C20 pantile roof with stone
slates to eaves. 2 storeys. The C16 range is of 3 bays aligned north-
south, with a l-bay wing at the north end, projecting east. The remainder
of the building is C20 and not of special interest. C20 entrance door and
fenestration. Blocked doorway left, in gable of projecting wing. Interior:
the north-south range has extensive remains of a timber frame: 3 pairs of
principal posts are visible, the northen pair surviving to full height, with
arched braces to a tie beam, a wall plate and stud partition remaining at
first floor. The middle pair have a wall plate with mortice holes for a
partition on the underside; the southern pair of posts has a wallplate with
straight-cut chamfer stops and an inserted chimney stack. A C16 plaster
ceiling between the central and south pairs of posts has 4 shields in relief
displaying the badges of the Percy and the Fawkes families; the surrounding
plaster has been cut back considerably. There is a blocked fireplace in the
north-west corner of the north wing. The east wing, ground floor, has a
spine beam with cyma stops, an inserted partition and is lined with reused
oak panelling. Further panelling remains in the south room of the main
range (first floor), and above this room there is a principal rafter truss
(not seen at resurvey). The house contains the remains ofa C16 timber-
framed building of high status to judge from the surviving plaster ceiling.
The reuse of timbering and straight-cut chamfers suggest C17 and C18
alterations, but photographs show that the external appearance by the late
C19 was of a mid C19 L-shaped range; divided into 3 cottages by the early
C20. The house has undergone extensive extension and alteration in the mid
C20 but the internal structure has been retained, possibly because of the
historical associations with the Gunpowder Plot. The history of the
ownership of the house is confused. The name 'Percy House' refers to the
Percy family who possibly built the timber-framed building in the C16. In
1588 Denis Bainbridge bought the Percy lands in Scotton; his stepfather,
Walter Pulleyn, lived at the Old Hall. Denis married Edith Fawkes after
1587 (the death of his first wife) and may have rebuilt Percy House for her,
or restored it, including the Fawkes shield in the plaster ceiling. Guy
Fawkes therefore had links with his mother's home in Scotton, as well as his
stepfather's family at Old Hall. North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular
Buildings Study Group Report No 785. 'A T Waterer, 'Records of the Parish of
Farnham etc', Typescript, c1928, Harrogate Public Library.


Listing NGR: SE3260459438

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.