History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Long Marston Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Long Marston (Harrogate), North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9555 / 53°57'19"N

Longitude: -1.2379 / 1°14'16"W

OS Eastings: 450106

OS Northings: 451313

OS Grid: SE501513

Mapcode National: GBR MQSP.ST

Mapcode Global: WHD9W.YVP0

Entry Name: Long Marston Hall

Listing Date: 2 September 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150330

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331730

Location: Long Marston, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, YO26

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Long Marston

Built-Up Area: Long Marston (Harrogate)

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Marston Moor

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Rufforth

Listing Text

SE 55 SW LONG MARSTON TOCKWITH ROAD
(east side)

5/29 Long Marston Hall

2.9.52

- II*


Large house and warehouse, now a house. Late C17 with later extensions and
alterations mid-late C18. Red-brown brick, Flemish and random bond, ashlar
quoins, pantile roof c1985. Of 2 storeys,with attics over part; L-plan
composed of a 3-bay entrance range with a 2-bay wing projecting at right
angles, right, and a 3-bay added block to left. Quoins to right wing.
Entrance range: 6-panel door with overlight in plain surround to right;
inserted half-glazed door to left. Sashes with glazing bars in flush wood
architraves under slightly cambered stretcher arches throughout; 2 to ground
floor and 3 to first. Projecting first-floor band; axial stack to left, at
junction with added block, and a large external 3-flue rear stack between
bays 2 and 3. Blocked elliptical header-arched openings to ground floor.
Projecting wing to right: fenestration as entrance range, the frames
inserted into much larger blocked openings which have sawn-off ashlar
brackets to form sills and moulded ashlar cornices to ground floor. Raised
eaves, hipped roof. Blocked elliptical-arched openings and inserted sashes
to left return. Blocked openings with elliptical header arches to right
return. Added block to left: bay 1 has a blocked first-floor window and is
partly obscured by an outbuilding attached at right angles. Bays 2 and 3:
wide central double doors under 5-pane overlight flanked by large 4 x 6-pane
windows; two 16-pane sashes above; all with slightly cambered stretcher
arches. Straight joins to upper floor, centre, suggest a large loading
door. End stack left. Left return: 2 blocked arched windows to first
floor. Rear: chamfered plinth; C20 board door and small 4-pane window below
3 tiers of paired 6-pane windows lighting staircase at the rear of the
projecting wing, far left. To right irregularly placed sashes with glazing
bars and small oeil de boeuf window. Interior. Entrance range has a single
large room to ground floor, with a brick fireplace against the rear wall, a
partitioned off scullery with steep stone stair in the north corner leading
to the cellar below the added block, left, and a small room to right with
2-panel door with H hinges; the floor is paved with small hexagonal stone
slabs and the corner fireplace has a roll-moulded surround; it is known as
Bishop Morton's Room. The stone floor throughout is laid to very fine
joints. Projecting wing, ground floor: a massive panelled door into the
rear bay containing a very fine late C17 / early C18 staircase of 4 straight
flights rising to the attic storey; the bulky oak cup-and-vase balusters and
moulded handrail stand on a solid pine string; the newels are square in
section with moulded caps. The risers and treads to the attic storey are
original. Middle room with a panelled partition across the south corner
with a 3 panel door, contemporary with the dado, leading to the cellar below
the end bay of this wing. The end room is 2 steps higher and has a 6-panel
door; the pine and plaster fireplace is late C18 with vase-, lion- and
satyr-mask motifs;moulded ceiling cornice. First floor; entrance block:
steps down from the first-floor landing into a room (bays 2 and 3) lined
with reused C17 oak and pine panels in plain and slightly moulded framing,
the overmantle missing and ceiling moulding is below present ceiling height,
which has cross-beams with the remains of moulded plaster casing. A
partition with 3 doors divides this room from a blocked staircase and a
small door gives access to a small panelled room and closet beyond; the formers
fireplace has a stone surround with reeded jambs and small cast-iron grate
and there is a doorway to the added range to left. Projecting wing, first
floor, centre: a fine wooden bolection-moulded fireplace with blocked
doorway to left concealed by plaster; a very fine massively moulded wood and
plaster ceiling cornice. Attic storey above projecting wing: the roof
structure is considerably altered; one large principal truss survives, the
purlins having mortices for windbraces; a pair of principals forming an
inverted V indicate the junction of an original roof to the south-east.
Added range to left of entrance bay: the massive brick barrel-vaulted cellar
contains a barrel ramp, well and a massive drain which continues below
ground outside the house for approximately 25 metres. Long Marston Manor
was held by the Thwaite family in the early C17, James Thwaite died in
1603/4. It is probable that the family sold much of the property during the
Civil War period and they were still living at Marston in 1674. By 1683 it
had passed to the Thompson family, Sir Henry Thompson (d 1683) being Lord
Mayor of York after the Civil War. By 1723 the hall was probably divided
into 2 and Edward Thompson was living in the present building. His
daughter, the mother of James Wolfe of Quebec, was born there in 1704. The
Thompsons were wealthy York merchants and owned several properties; these
factors account for the present appearance of the Hall. It was originally a
symmetrical U plan, the present projecting wing being the north range. The
central entrance block is shown in part in Buck's drawing of the hall c1723
and was probably demolished in the later C18. The south wing,survives (now
the Old Granary, qv), a single-storey range now links the 2 wings. The
Thompsons probably added the left 3 bays as a warehouse and were responsible
for alterations to the floor levels of the end rooms of the original wing to
provide another cellar. The C17 panelling was concealed under plaster which
was removed in 1938. S Buck, Yorkshire Sketchbook (facsimile), 1979, p 239.
Dr P Newman, personal communication.


Listing NGR: SE5010651313

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.