History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Copgrove, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.064 / 54°3'50"N

Longitude: -1.4722 / 1°28'20"W

OS Eastings: 434639

OS Northings: 463243

OS Grid: SE346632

Mapcode National: GBR LP5F.2X

Mapcode Global: WHD9D.C35T

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 15 March 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150343

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331770

Location: Copgrove, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Copgrove

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Copgrove

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bishop Monkton

Listing Text

SE 36 SW COPGROVE WATH LANE
(north side)

3/13 Church of St Michael

15.3.66

- II*


Church. C12 and C18, restored 1889 for the Rev Henry Kinnear and 1896-97 -
for the Bridgemans of Copgrove Hall (qv). Limestone rubble with ashlar
dressings, graduated stone slate roof. Quoins; deep ashlar plinth to nave.
3-bay nave with west bellcote and a timber-framed porch to bay 1; 2-bay
chancel with vestry on north. Board door to nave; nave north and south
windows are pointed, of 2 lights and have Perpendicular style tracery,
1896. Narrow C12 round-arched window to chancel, right, 2-light Decorated
window with hoodmould to left. Square-headed east window of 3 cusped
lights. Ashlar gable copings; bellcote with one bell in an open segmental
arch surmounted by a moulded pediment. A stone forming a quoin of the
vestry was originally in the north chancel wall. It is carved with a
T-shape (?Thor's hammer) and a figure with sword and shield, possibly pre-
Christian. Interior: the rebates to the east window are plastered and
retain red painted lines in imitation of ashlar, and painted scrolls.
Norman chancel arch with imposts carved with chevron and dogtooth motifs,
the left restored. C17 and C18 box-pews reused to line nave walls; the
medieval altar stone rediscovered at the late C19 restoration; a brass
inscription near the south door is dated 1637. Board painted with the Royal
Arms of Queen Anne over those of Charles II. Many fine late C18-C19 wall
memorials to the Duncombe family of Copgrove Hall. The church belonged to
the Knights Hospitallers in the C13, and from 1535 to c1634 the living
belonged to the Wyse family. The church is thought to have had a tower and
short steeple, removed in the late C17 when the bellcote was added. In the
C18 the nave windows were round-headed, they were rebuilt in Gothic style in
1896-97. At the same time the roof was renewed, the eaves being raised
considerably; the pulpit, choir stalls and pews were altered at that time,
and the floor lowered. The vestry and porch were also added.


Listing NGR: SE3463963243

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.