History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Rufforth with Knapton, York

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9568 / 53°57'24"N

Longitude: -1.1973 / 1°11'50"W

OS Eastings: 452767

OS Northings: 451491

OS Grid: SE527514

Mapcode National: GBR NQ2P.LB

Mapcode Global: WHD9X.LS1Z

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 27 August 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150353

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331691

Location: Rufforth with Knapton, York, YO23

County: York

Civil Parish: Rufforth with Knapton

Built-Up Area: Rufforth

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Marston Moor

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Rufforth

Listing Text


NORTH YORKSHIRE
HARROGATE
5338
SE 55 SW RUFFORTH MAIN STREET
(north-east side)

5/49 Church of All Saints

GV II

Church. 1894-5, by J Demaine and W Brierley incorporating elements of
earlier church on same site. Ashlar with slate and leaded roofs. 4-bay
nave with south porch and aisle, south tower and single-bay chancel, in
Victorian Gothic style. West front: 3-light traceried pointed window
flanked by buttresses. To right: return wall of south porch, blind except
for one square-headed window. Nave south front: round-arched doorway to
porch with foliate decoration to arch and elaborate empty statue niche
above. 2- and 3-light square-headed windows in Perpendicular style to
aisle. Nave north side: 2-light pointed traceried windows except for
single-light, square-headed window to east bay. Tower: massive plain tower
with staircase turret to west. South facade: original C12 round-arched
doorway with 3-light, square-headed window to right and small staircase
window above to left. Clock beneath ogee hood interrupts 2-light
belfry opening which is repeated to each face. Cornice band extending
around tower reads "To the glory of God and in pious memory of George
Middlewood of Rufforth Anno Domini 1894. Lord have loved the habitation
of They House, and the place where They Honour dwelleth". Squat recessed
spire. Chancel: to south a 2-light traceried pointed window; to north a 3-
light round-arched traceried window. East front: 5-light traceried pointed
window flanked by buttresses. Interior: north aisle has original Y-tracery
window incorporated in west wall and 3-light Perpendicular window
incorporated in east wall.


Listing NGR: SE5276751491

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.