History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bilton-in-Ainsty with Bickerton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9505 / 53°57'1"N

Longitude: -1.2834 / 1°17'0"W

OS Eastings: 447125

OS Northings: 450730

OS Grid: SE471507

Mapcode National: GBR MQGR.YL

Mapcode Global: WHD9W.8Y3T

Entry Name: Old School House

Listing Date: 8 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150362

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331709

Location: Bilton-in-Ainsty with Bickerton, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, YO26

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Bilton-in-Ainsty with Bickerto

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Rural Ainsty

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Cattal

Listing Text

SE 45 SE BILTON IN AINSTY TOCKWITH LANE
(east side)

4/8 Old School House

- II


School, now private house. Early C19. For Hall Plumer. Red-brown brick,
Flemish bond, graduated grey slate roof. 2 storeys, 6 bays, the pedimented
central 2 bays project. Central 6-panel door with overlight. Blocked
doorway now a window far right. 12-pane sashes flank the door, the
remainder are smaller and of 16 panes and all have segmental stretcher
arches and stone sills. Modillioned eaves cornice and pediment. A stone
plaque between the central first-floor windows has no inscription; a blind
oculus in the pediment has an inscription (restored): "Ex dono / H. PLUMER
Armi(ger) / Anno Domini / 1801". End brick stacks. A late C19 single-
storey schoolroom with stone-mullioned windows projects to right. Left
return (to road): a round-arched recess with keystone, right, has a blocked
doorway; 2 round-arched windows with stone sills and C20 small-paned sashes
to first floor; blocked oculus to gable. Rear range not of special
interest. The school was endowed by Hall Plumer of Bilton Hall (qv) and
served Bilton, Bickerton and Tockwith. It was closed in 1928 and was used
as a village hall until 1973 when the chuch sold it and it was converted
into a private house. W V Crapp, Some historical notes on the Parish and
Parish Church of St Helen's, Bilton in Ainsty with Bickerton, 1973, p6.


Listing NGR: SE4712550730

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.