History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Eastern Farmhouse at High Cayton

A Grade II Listed Building in South Stainley with Cayton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.064 / 54°3'50"N

Longitude: -1.5641 / 1°33'50"W

OS Eastings: 428626

OS Northings: 463210

OS Grid: SE286632

Mapcode National: GBR KPJF.5X

Mapcode Global: WHC86.Y3CR

Entry Name: Eastern Farmhouse at High Cayton

Listing Date: 15 March 1966

Last Amended: 18 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150376

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331636

Location: South Stainley with Cayton, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: South Stainley with Cayton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Ingerthorpe

Listing Text

SOUTH STAINLEY WITH CAYTON WATER LANE
SE 26 SE (west end)

1/129 Eastern Farmhouse at High
Cayton
15.3.66 (formerly listed as
Cayton Hall)

GV II

House. Dated 1607 with extensive C19 and C20 alterations. Rendered, with
large gritstone external stacks and purple slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays
with lower 2-bay addition to right and rear added outshut. 4-panel half-
glazed door to left of centre with 16-pane sash attached to left, both in raised
surrounds; the remaining windows have mid C20 cast-iron frames. Stone coped
gables. Large corniced end stacks. 2-storey addition: board door left, 4-
pane sash to right, 6-pane side-sliding sash above. Rear outshut contains
small side-sliding sash windows. Interior: the original front wall now the
rear wall of the house (now enclosed by the outshut) is approximately 75
centimetres thick and has chamfered quoined doorway to left of centre
surmounted by a stone carving of a shield with lion crest (the arms of
Harrison of Cayton) and the date 1607. The west room, ground floor, has a
cross beamed ceiling; the panelling was removed from this room to Cayton
Hall (qv) in c1920. The house stands on part of the site of the deserted
village of High Cayton. Included for group value.


Listing NGR: SE2862663210

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.