History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul and St Margaret

A Grade II Listed Building in Nidd, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0424 / 54°2'32"N

Longitude: -1.5414 / 1°32'29"W

OS Eastings: 430128

OS Northings: 460811

OS Grid: SE301608

Mapcode National: GBR KPPP.2N

Mapcode Global: WHC87.9N7D

Entry Name: Church of St Paul and St Margaret

Listing Date: 15 March 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150426

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331558

Location: Nidd, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Nidd

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Nidd St Paul and St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Ripley

Listing Text

. NIDD TOWN STREET
SE 36 SW (east side, off)

2/54 Church of St Paul and St
Margaret
15.3.66

GV II

Church. 1866 by Healey for Miss Rawson of Nidd Hall. Gritstone, graduated
grey slate roof. 4-bay nave with west tower of 3 stages, north aisle and
south porch; 2-bay chancel. Gothic arch to gabled porch; roll moulding and
hoodmould possibly C13. Nave windows of 3 cusped lights, chancel of 1 and 2
lights. Large buttresses; gable copings, cross finials. 3-light east
window with 2 quatrefoil and I trefoil opening under a hoodmould. The
north aisle has three 2-light and one 3-light window; the vestry has a
plain 4-light window. The west tower has angle buttresses up to bell stage,
gableted to top of first stage, paired lancets to west, narrow lancets on
each side to second stage and elaborate 2-light belfry openings with central
shaft in large pointed arch with attached shafts, hoodmould and pierced
quatrefoil and inner cusping to tympanum. Embattled parapets and crocketed
finials. Interior. The porch is lined in limestone ashlar and the inner
board door has 3-pronged hinges. 3 quatrefoil columns to the north aisle of
the nave which is floored, together with the chancel, with polychrome tiles.
The font in the base of the tower is circular with a deep rim band as is
from the earlier church as are several pieces of carved stone. The walls of
the church are very plain, unplastered; memorials are to the Rawson and
Butler (Mountgarret) families. The stained glass window in bay 2 of the
north aisle depicts the nativity with shepherds and is a memorial to Henry
Edmund the 13th Viscount Mountgarret of Nidd Hall (qv), who died in 1900.
It is probably the workmanship of Charles Kempe, as is the window in bay 4
which is a memorial to Elizabeth Rawson (d1900) and depicts the Madonna and
child flanked by Simeon and Psalmist.


Listing NGR: SE3012860811

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.