History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cote Syke Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Felliscliffe, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0161 / 54°0'57"N

Longitude: -1.6208 / 1°37'14"W

OS Eastings: 424944

OS Northings: 457852

OS Grid: SE249578

Mapcode National: GBR KQ30.W3

Mapcode Global: WHC8D.2BG1

Entry Name: Cote Syke Farmhouse

Listing Date: 18 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150447

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331510

Location: Felliscliffe, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Felliscliffe

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Hampsthwaite and Killinghall

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Birstwith

Listing Text

FELLISCLIFFE GREYSTON PLAIN LANE
SE 25 NW (west side, off)

3/7 Cote Syke Farmhouse

- II

House. Dated 1702 and 1735 with mid C20 restoration. Coursed squared
gritstone, purple slate roof to main range, graduated stone slates to bay on
right. 2-storey, 3-bay main range, single-storey bay to right. Quoins.
Main range: C20 board door right in moulded quoined surround with stepped
moulding to lintel and inscription "E R I 1702", cornice over. Recessed
chamfered mullion windows throughout, of 4 and 6 lights with hoodmoulds to
ground floor; of 4, 3 and 3 lights to first floor with an additional single-
light window first floor over door in a stone architrave. Below this window
a stone plaque with the inscription:

"17 S 35" (William and Susannah Simpson),
W S
"Omniam credem diem / tibi Diluxisse Supre - / mum. Grata Superv - / enient
quae non ope - / rabitir hora". Bulbous kneeler and gable coping to right,
raised verge with bulbous kneeler and coping to left; large corniced
projecting stack left, banded stack right. Single-storey bay: board door
with chamfered quoins to right jamb, the chamfer continued across the lintel
as an ogee curve, the left jamb probably cut back. 2-light recessed
chamfered mullion window to right; inserted 3-light window in right return.
Interior: main range: the main living room ground floor right has cyma-
moulded chamfer stops to beams and former inglenook fireplace to right;
former parlour left - a fine bolection-moulded fireplace and a similar fine
surround in the room above. The 1735 date probably relates to the insertion
of the fireplaces in the left gable, alterations to the main fireplace against
the right gable and the insertion of the window with architrave.


Listing NGR: SE2494457852

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.