History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Braisty Woods Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Hartwith cum Winsley, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0687 / 54°4'7"N

Longitude: -1.701 / 1°42'3"W

OS Eastings: 419662

OS Northings: 463678

OS Grid: SE196636

Mapcode National: GBR JPKD.J7

Mapcode Global: WHC7Y.VZ5R

Entry Name: Braisty Woods Farmhouse

Listing Date: 23 April 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150537

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331212

Location: Hartwith cum Winsley, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Hartwith cum Winsley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Pateley Bridge

Listing Text

HARTWITH CUM WINSLEY SMELTHOUSES TO BURNT YATES ROAD
SE 16 SE (south side, off)

8/82 Braisty Woods Farmhouse
23.4.52

GV II

House. Early-mid C17 with early C18 extension and mid C19 refenestration
and additions. Coursed squared gritstone, graduated stone slate roof. 2
storeys with attics; L-plan with 3 + 1-bay main range, and 2-bay projecting
wing to left. Main range: stressed quoins, 6-panel door bay 2 in stone
architrave with fluted pilasters, pulvinated frieze, entablature and
cornice. Flanking and first-floor windows: paired 4-pane sashes in stone
surrounds; a single sash above door. Sill band to both floors, eaves band,
corniced end stacks. Bay 4: half-glazed door in stone surround, 4-pane
sashes above and to right, both floors; shaped kneeler, gable coping and end
stack right. Projecting bay to left: quoins: recessed-chamfered mullion
windows throughout: first floor left of 1 light, attic storey has a 2-light
window to left and a square window right. Shaped kneelers, gable coping,
ridge stack. Rear: random fenestration; the earliest window probably a
blocked tall narrow pointed-arched light with a mid C20 inserted casement,
bay 4. It is flanked by round-arched windows with imposts and keystones,
that to left lighting a staircase, that to right a composite window of 2
round arches above a transom. Remaining windows C20. Shaped kneelers,
gable coping, ridge stacks to bays 1, 2, 4 and 5. Left return: central C20
porch; square window far left; recessed-chamfered mullion windows inserted
c1980. Quoined straight joint defines the earlier bay to right. First
floor shows line of 2 added gables, now demolished. C17 projecting bay,
right return: board door in chamfered surround to right, 5-light recessed-
chamfered mullion window under continuous hoodmould left; mullion and
transom window above, of 5 lights below the transom and of 4 above.
Interior: main range: 6-panel doors with original brass fittings throughout;
front right C20 fireplace flanked by double cupboard doors, that to right
converted for access to additional bay. Cupboard to left has scrolled
shelves and architrave of fluted pilasters with entablature and cornice;
dentilled ceiling cornice. Staircase opposite entrance of 2 straight
flights with column and vase balusters and square newels; moulded handrail.
Landing ceiling decorated with unusual plasterwork composed of 2 large
masks, a rectangular panel and corner masks, and dentilled and acanthus
decoration to mouldings. Kitchen, ground floor, left: large fireplace
against west wall with cyma-moulded supports to large mantelpiece and recess
for range; early woodwork to post and muntin partition against east wall,
and a panelled cupboard door to left of fireplace. Roof structure: 2 tie
beam trusses above kitchen bay, altered to queen post trusses as remainder.
C17 projecting bay, ground floor: south-east corner fireplace with ovolo-
moulded surround; staircase in north-west corner enclosed by post and panel
partition at ground and first floor; 2-panel door at head of stairs formerly
on ground floor. First floor: timberwork at stairhead has traces of painted
decoration, and the corner chimney-breast has painted plasterwork comprising
a circular wreath (? of laurel) possibly enclosing a crowned head (defaced)
flanked by a rose (left) and a thistle (right). Braisty Woods was a
substantial settlement in the later middle ages, developed as a pastoral
outstation where sheep and store cattle were wintered, and belonging to
Fountains Abbey. The house and lands are associated with the Scafe or
Skaife family from the monastic period (late C15) and later as tenants of
the Ingilbys of Ripley Castle. In 1615 Thomas and John Skaife bought the
freehold from Sir William Ingilby, and the inventory of Richard Skaife in
1728 shows evidence of then recent extensions and alterations. The painted
plasterwork may commemorate the Act of Parliament which united England and
Scotland in 1706 - the date recorded on the sundial (qv). B Jennings, A
History of Nidderdale, 1967, pp 103, 128, 356.


Listing NGR: SE1966263678

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.