History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Swarcliffe Hall Now Grosvenor House School

A Grade II Listed Building in Birstwith, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0301 / 54°1'48"N

Longitude: -1.642 / 1°38'31"W

OS Eastings: 423546

OS Northings: 459407

OS Grid: SE235594

Mapcode National: GBR JPZV.92

Mapcode Global: WHC85.RY8T

Entry Name: Swarcliffe Hall Now Grosvenor House School

Listing Date: 3 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150558

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331154

Location: Birstwith, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Birstwith

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Birstwith St James

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Birstwith

Listing Text

BIRSTWITH LACKON BANK
SE 25 NW (west side, off)

14/26 Swarcliffe Hall, now
Grosvenor House School

GV II

Country house (Swarcliffe Hall) now school. 1848-50 by Major Rhode Hawkins
for John Greenwood of Knowle near Keighley, enlarged 1866-67. Coursed
squared gritstone and ashlar, graduated grey slate roofs. Original square
house of 2 storeys and 3 bays, facing east, with larger additional wing
attached to north with, to rear, a 4-storey tower which in turn has a lower
2-storey service wing attached to north. In a Jacobethan style: Tudor arch
and hoodmould to main door in original range, bay 2, flanked by projecting
gabled wings with oriel and mullion-and-transom windows with hoodmoulds;
continuous dripmoulds, gable copings, ball finials and tall chimneys with 1,
2 and 3 flues. Addition, projecting forward on right, in same style. Rear,
west courtyard: date 1850 carved above entrance to original range. Right
return: tower with corner pinnacles and a turret. Interior: original
reception rooms remain: rear hall with elaborately carved wooden fire
surround in Jacobean style, and panelled plaster ceiling; staircase rising
from hall has square-section balusters linked by arches; south-east living
room has marble fireplaces and patterned tiles. J G Greenwood was a cotton
spinner at Keighley and, having bought the Wreaks Mill, Birstwith, in 1805
became a major landowner in the area. B Jennings, A History of Nidderdale,
1967, p 227.


Listing NGR: SE2354659407

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.