This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0473 / 54°2'50"N
Longitude: -1.6977 / 1°41'51"W
OS Eastings: 419891
OS Northings: 461296
OS Grid: SE198612
Mapcode National: GBR JPLM.7X
Mapcode Global: WHC84.WJRN
Entry Name: Low Hall
Listing Date: 23 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150568
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331179
Location: Dacre, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Dacre
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
DACRE MAIN STREET
SE 16 SE (east side, off)
8/50 Low Hall
House. Dated 1635. Probably for Matthew Wood. Smoothly dressed gritstone,
graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys with attic, 3 bays, with gables to
main facade. Plinth, continuous dripmould to ground and first floors.
Glazed double door between bays 2 and 3 in moulded chamfered surround with
shallow 4-centred arch. Datestone over: panels with inscription '1635 MW'
flanked by fan motif under roll moulding, the datestone flanked by labels
carved with flower heads. Windows, ground floor: mullioned and transomed of
4, 7 and 6 lights; first floor: similar but shorter of 4, 6 and 5 lights
with small light between bays 1 and 2 and a cross window between bays 2 and
3. Attic storey: paired round-headed lights under hoodmoulds. All windows
are recessed-chamfered; dripmould breaks forward above windows, with stepped
labels and labels embellished with leaf motif flanking entrance. Elaborate
shaped kneelers and gable coping carrying finials at apex of gables and
valleys between. Large stack in valley between bays 1 and 2; external stack
right. Rear: board door to right, 4-light mullion and transom window to
left of centre; mullion windows with hoodmoulds, some restored. Castellated
rainwater heads at valleys. Left return: 4-light and single-light windows
ground floor. 3-light and inserted single-light first-floor windows.
Plinth obscured by C20 terrace. Ground-floor dripmould returned from front
over single-light window. Right return: left: 2-light windows ground and
first floor. External stack stepped in at first floor, the steps supporting
stone gutters. Extensions built c1920 not of special interest. Interior:
not inspected at resurvey. Extensive alterations were made to the plan in
1920 including removal of staircase, kitchen fireplace and chimney. Other
fireplaces also moved, and C17 panelling imported. North Yorkshire and
Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report Number 457 (1978).
Listing NGR: SE1989161296
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings