This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1365 / 54°8'11"N
Longitude: -1.6152 / 1°36'54"W
OS Eastings: 425239
OS Northings: 471254
OS Grid: SE252712
Mapcode National: GBR KN5L.3X
Mapcode Global: WHC7T.5936
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert and St Oswald
Listing Date: 11 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150588
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331127
Location: Winksley, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Winksley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 27 SE WINKSLEY WINKSLEY BANKS ROAD
Church of St Cuthbert and
Church of St Cuthbert and St Oswald. 1917 by Connon and Chorley for Jane,
Baroness Furness, in memory of her husband Christopher, the first Baron
Furness who died at Grantley Hall in 1912. Gritstone, stone slate roof.
3-bay nave with narrow north and south aisles incorporated into it. Large
west tower of 3 stages with porch and stair turret against the south side,
and another porch against the north side. 2-bay chancel with vestry to south
and organ bay to north. Perpendicular style. Double board south door with
wide strap hinges under deeply-chamfered arch; curvilinear tracery to belfry
windows; elaborate Perpendicular tracery to 3-light nave windows with shallow
arches; 5-light east window. Wide buttresses, irregular indented parapets to
tower, nave and chancel, projecting bands at floor levels and over belfry
windows to tower. Interior: the aisles form low tunnels beneath buttress
walls linking the piers with the outer walls. Marble corner columns support
wooden vaulted ceiling at west end, beneath tower. Nave and chancel roofs of
large timbers. Wide double-chamfered chancel arch. Font, pulpit and low
screen white veined marble. Finely carved pew-ends with varied traceried
panels. The walls of the west end carry memorials to the Furness family of
Grantley Hall. The earlier church stood on the north west, in the graveyard.
It had been built or restored c1500 by Marmaduke Huby, Abbot of Fountains
Abbey and again in the C18. Stone front the c1500 church is incorporated
into the west wall of the present tower, including 2 inscriptions in Latin,
the 3-light west window and a niche with crocketed canopy. The system of
roofing the aisles was probably copied from Fountains Abbey church.
W J St John Hope, Fountain Abbey, Yorkshire, 1900, p21. The architects
Connon and Chorley also built St Aidan's Church, Hellifield, North Riding.
N Pevsner, Yorkshire, West Riding 1967, p 554.
Listing NGR: SE2523971254
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings