History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rustic Bridge over River Skell Approximately 350 Metres South-East of Outlet from the Lake, with Ford Approximately 2 Metres to South

A Grade II Listed Building in Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1171 / 54°7'1"N

Longitude: -1.566 / 1°33'57"W

OS Eastings: 428464

OS Northings: 469110

OS Grid: SE284691

Mapcode National: GBR KNHT.RW

Mapcode Global: WHC7T.XSF4

Entry Name: Rustic Bridge over River Skell Approximately 350 Metres South-East of Outlet from the Lake, with Ford Approximately 2 Metres to South

Listing Date: 11 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150606

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331066

Location: Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Lindrick with Studley Royal an

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Ripon

Listing Text

SE 2869 LINDRICK WITH STUDLEY STUDLEY PARK
ROYAL AND FOUNTAINS

9/62 Rustic Bridge over River
Skell approximately 350
metres south-east of
outlet from the Lake,
with ford approximately 2
metres to south


GV II


Ford and bridge. Ford c1740 for John Aislabie, bridge probably before 1781
for William Aislabie. Ford: gritstone setts flanked by curbstones.
Approximately 3 metres wide. For further details see ford 150 metres south-
east of Lake outlet. Bridge: gritstone rubble and boulders, with tufa
blocks. Single-span shallow segmental arch with dressed rubble and
voussoir. Rubble crest to parapet, large worn boulders as terminals. The
stones are mortared but carefully built up to give the appearance of dry
walling. The bridge carries a narrow bridle or pedestrian pathway and
replaced one of c1740 built in a Chinese Chippendale style,
(W T C Walker, personal communication). The route led to the pagoda in the
Chinese Wood further east (demolished). This bridge carries a rich growth
of plants, the effect of carefully recessed pointing.


Listing NGR: SE2846469110

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.