This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1152 / 54°6'54"N
Longitude: -1.576 / 1°34'33"W
OS Eastings: 427812
OS Northings: 468901
OS Grid: SE278689
Mapcode National: GBR KNFV.LK
Mapcode Global: WHC7T.RTPK
Entry Name: Banqueting House Approximately 100 Metres to West of the Canal
Listing Date: 6 March 1967
Last Amended: 11 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150608
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331073
Location: Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 26 NE LINDRICK WITH STUDLEY STUDLEY PARK
ROYAL AND FOUNTAINS
9/69 Banqueting House
approximately 100 metres
6.3.67 to west of The Canal
(formerly listed as
Banqueting house. 1728-32. By Thomas Buck, mason, under the direction of
Robert Doe probably to a design by Colen Campbell. For John Aislabie.
Ashlar, with Westmorland slate roof. One storey, 2 bays. 4 steps up to
central glazed double door under fanlight flanked by round-arched sash
windows with glazing bars. Each opening has rusticated voussoirs and
keystone with masks of bearded faces. The windows have balustrades in blind
recesses beneath them. 6 pilasters with alternate bands of frosted
rustication support cornice and balustraded parapet with ball finials.
Hipped roof, corniced stack to rear, centre. Rear: part rebuilt in cement
blocks before 1966. Left and right returns: banded rustication to apsidal
projections with domed lead roofs reaching eaves height of main cornice.
Interior: main room - large elaborate Doric fire surround with attached
columns surmounted by a portrait of the Sultan of Surat removed for
restoration at time of resurvey. The fireplace and masks with baskets of
flowers and cascades of fruit and flowers flanking recesses were carved by
Richard Fisher of York. Edward Shepherd may have been responsible for the
plasterwork in high relief showing putti with female bust in circle above
the doors to the 2 smaller inner rooms. The domed roofs to the apses at
each end of the room carry very fine plaster decorations representing a
ribbed framework overlaid with fabric decorated with flowers, scrolls,
foliage and ribbons; oval plaques containing flowers alternate with profiles
of Roman Emperors; the upper edge is folded back and is fixed by large
stylised flower. Frieze at impost level of the apse and to ceiling later
and by Guisseppe Corteze (similar to the portico of the Temple of Piety).
The Ceiling coved, divided into 3 parts and with panels contain large
central rose and corner panels with scrolls and masks. Style and motifs
similar to the Cascade, Quebec Monument and Rustic Bridge (qv). Original
records refer to this building as the 'Greenhouse', ie orangery.
Restoration in progress at time of resurvey. A scheduled Ancient Monument.
G Beard, Studley Royal, Country Life, 1961. W T C Walker, personal
Listing NGR: SE2781268901
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings