This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3436 / 54°20'36"N
Longitude: -1.1192 / 1°7'9"W
OS Eastings: 457358
OS Northings: 494582
OS Grid: SE573945
Mapcode National: GBR NLM6.HQ
Mapcode Global: WHD86.S27Z
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 23 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150631
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333062
Location: Bilsdale Midcable, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, TS9
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Bilsdale Midcable
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Upper Ryedale
Church of England Diocese: York
BILSDALE MIDCABLE B 1257 East side
SE 59 SE
Church of St. John
23/6/66 the Evangelist
Parish church. 1896-8 by Temple Moore. Pecked coursed sandstone
with dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roof with stone ridge and
copings, stone spire. West tower, continuous nave and chancel, north
aisle. Decorated style.
Square tower of 3 stages with stepped diagonal buttresses, stepped
and moulded plinth, Y-tracery west window with clock above. Small
openings north and south, Y-traceried bell openings above. Short
octagonal broach spire with lucarnes and vane. Stepped buttress bay
divisions. North aisle under catslide roof. Cusped reticulated
tracery to east window. Twin bootscrapers flank 4 steps to door.
Interior plastered with stone dressings. Moulded and chamfered
arches of 4-bay aisle dying into diagonal chamfered piers. East bay
and eastward extension panelled off as vestry. Tall, pointed tower
arch. Ribbed barreled nave roof and coffered tower roof. Good,
apparently original woodwork including benches, pulpit, choir seating
and desks. Chequered stone paving in slightly-raised chancel and
sanctuary, and moulded piscina in south wall. Carved vestry door
with monogram under long Caernarvon arch.
Listing NGR: SE5735894582
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings