History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Birdforth, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1756 / 54°10'32"N

Longitude: -1.2565 / 1°15'23"W

OS Eastings: 448631

OS Northings: 475789

OS Grid: SE486757

Mapcode National: GBR MNN4.SX

Mapcode Global: WHD8X.N9WR

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 20 June 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150720

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332859

Location: Birdforth, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Birdforth

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Husthwaite St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Thormanby

Listing Text

BIRDFORTH A19
SE 47 NE
(east side, off)
4/1 Church of St Mary
20.6.66
- II
Redundant church. C12, C16-C17, C18 and C19. Rubblestone with interlocking tile
roof. 4-bay nave, single-cell chancel. Quoins. Nave: quoined round-arched south
door with imposts, the right half restored; to its right two windows, each of 2
round-arched lights; at west end C19 brick belfry with louvred bell-openings and
pyramidal Welsh slate roof with iron finial; east gable cross. On north side a
later window at east end. In west end a small segment-arched window. Chancel,
lower and narrower, has traces of former opening on left, east gable cross, and
east window as nave. Interior: round chancel arch with imposts; 4 principal rafter
roof trusses with curved collars to nave, the tie-beams with groove-moulding and
one with sunk panel containing letters and date 'G1702B' below motif; in chancel
north wall, architraved sunken panel with embossed shield and flowers and letters
and date '1585':
I T
A S(?). c1700 pulpit, panelled with vine-trail and simpler top mouldings,
knob finials to gate posts and lectern with brass candlestick; lectern with turned
C17 baluster-like shaft on renewed base; C12 circular tub font on renewed base with
probably C17 cover having ogee-shaped ribs; in chancel, chamfered stone top of
probably C14 tomb with incised sword.


Listing NGR: SE4863175789

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.