History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mill Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in Brandsby-cum-Stearsby, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1423 / 54°8'32"N

Longitude: -1.099 / 1°5'56"W

OS Eastings: 458956

OS Northings: 472206

OS Grid: SE589722

Mapcode National: GBR NNRJ.VV

Mapcode Global: WHFBB.24YR

Entry Name: Mill Hill

Listing Date: 24 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150744

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332710

Location: Brandsby-cum-Stearsby, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Brandsby-cum-Stearsby

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Brandsby All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Crayke

Listing Text

BRANSBY-CUM-STEARSBY B1363
SE 57 SE
(east side, off)
6/2
- Mill Hill
- II

House. c.1900 by Detmar Blow, for Fairfax Cholmeley, with early C20 alterations
by Alfred Powell, and late C20 alterations by Martin Stancliffe. Random local
sandstone, pantile roofs. Irregular L-shaped plan, 2 storeys and loft. The
original Blow range faces south-west, and consisted on the ground floor of two
coach houses with stabling and a library, these converted by Powell into a
library; sitting-room and dining-room respectively, and an open 2-storey house-
place with a gallery at the north-west end and a large fireplace on the north-
east wall, the room having been divided below the gallery, and with first floor
bedrooms above the stables and library. A single-storey kitchen range to the
cast has-been demolished. Powell added on to the north-east of this main range
a corridor, entered by a 2-storey canted entrance bay at the west end, with a
spacious first-floor gallery above; also a north-west range at right angles with
a central archway through to the kitchen courtyard, the archway flanked by a
monument room tot he north, and service rooms to the south, with bedrooms and
bathrooms above; this range has been discreetly altered to form an entrance
hall, kitchen and granny flat. The windows have segmental arches and side-
sliding sashes and casements [the owner did not give permission for a full
description to be made, but it seems likely that little Blow detailing remains
externally.] Interior: photographs in Country Life illustrate open hall with
large fireplace and gallery. The house represented a statement of socialist
principles held by the patron, the local squire. The squat tapering chimney
stacks on this house and others in Brandsby village implies that the Cholmeleys
engaged either Blow or Powell to do other work for them. Country Life 22 May
1915, pp.2, 4, 6.


Listing NGR: SE5895672206

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.