History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Elphin House

A Grade II Listed Building in Coxwold, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1876 / 54°11'15"N

Longitude: -1.1818 / 1°10'54"W

OS Eastings: 453490

OS Northings: 477175

OS Grid: SE534771

Mapcode National: GBR NN50.YM

Mapcode Global: WHD8Y.T0FK

Entry Name: Elphin House

Listing Date: 24 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150757

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332745

Location: Coxwold, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Coxwold

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Coxwold St Michael

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Coxwold

Listing Text

COXWOLD VILLAGE STREET
SE 5277-5377
(north side)
9/36
- Elphin House
GV II

House. Early-mid C19, possibly of older origin, and with later additions.
Coursed rubble sandstone, pantile and Welsh slate roof. Original house of 2
storeys and 3 bays, with 2-storey l-bay addition dated 1894 to right, and
single-storey addition, formerly doctor's waiting room, to left. Main house:
central part-glazed door below 3-pane fanlight in round-arched doorcase with
canopy on concave corbels with paterae. Sash windows with glazing bars with
ashlar sills and deep lintels. Shaped kneelers, ashlar coping. Corniced ashlar
end stacks. To right, 1 bay with matching windows and Welsh slate roof, ashlar
coping and corniced ashlar stack to right end. To left, 2 round-arched windows
with blind Diocletian window above the 2nd; coping to parapet. Rear: 20-pane
landing window, brick dentil cornice. For many years the house belonged to the
village doctor, and the gate post to the left has a hook for tethering patients'
horses. The name is taken from the Elphin Beck which flows from the south-west
of the village.


Listing NGR: SE5348777177

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.