History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Husthwaite, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1692 / 54°10'9"N

Longitude: -1.2076 / 1°12'27"W

OS Eastings: 451831

OS Northings: 475112

OS Grid: SE518751

Mapcode National: GBR NN07.C6

Mapcode Global: WHD8Y.FG6N

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 17 May 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150764

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332758

Location: Husthwaite, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Husthwaite

Built-Up Area: Husthwaite

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Husthwaite St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Husthwaite

Listing Text

HUSTHWAITE MAIN STREET
SE 5075-5175
(north side)
11/48
Church of St Nicholas
17.5.60
GV II*

Church. C12 and C15 with C17 fittings and 1895 restoration. Sandstone ashlar,
lead roofs, 3-stage west tower, 5-bay nave with south porch, 3-bay chancel. C12
stone reused in lower stages of tower which has plinth with chamfered off-set,
diagonal buttresses with many offsets to west; C15 ground-floor west window of
3 cinque-foiled lights in chamfered 4-centred arch; first-floor single-light
louvred south opening; string course below C15 belfry with on each side a
2-light cinque-foiled louvred flat-headed chamfered opening; weathervane on
roof. Nave: C12; gabled south porch has chamfered triangular-headed doorway
with renewed lintel dated 1878 and hood mould; inside it, C12 round-arched south
doorway of 3 orders, the outer 2 with chevron decoration, spiral capitals and
shafts (one missing), and with outward-opening old door with old sneck and
bolts; C19 2-light Romanesque-style windows, 1 to left of porch and 2 to right;
parapet with a C17 finial at each end; on north side, blocked C12 chamfered
doorway with round arch, imposts and dripmould, also small Romanesque window.
C12 chancel has priest's doorway matching that of porch, but with almost
illegible inscription on lintel, recorded as "1683", flanked by flat-headed
windows of 2 ogee-headed lights with trefoil cusping, and plain parapet; 2-light
east window with segmental-pointed head, renewed in C19; Romanesque window and
later single-light on north side. Interior: chamfered segmental-pointed tower
arch; wide C12 round chancel arch with imposts, and to its left a squint-like
opening; in chancel, east window and priest's doorway have Romanesque splays;
trefoil ogee piscina with new bowl; chancel has flat roof with some moulded
principal beams; nave has C19 shallow king-post roof with struts to principal
purlins. Wall monuments on north wall of chancel to Francis Goulton d.1737 of
Highthorne (qv) by Taylor of York, and to Robert Pearson MA, d.1805, Archdeacon
of Cleveland, Master of Coxwold Grammar School (qv Old Hall) and Minister of
this parish, inscription on large white stone tablet in wooden frame; monument
on north wall of nave to Robert Midgley d.1761, for 53 years Master of Coxwold
Grammar School and Minister of this parish, a black inscription tablet in a grey
marble frame above moulded base with panelled dado; and with broken pediment
containing cartouche with coat of arms. Fittings include C17 altar rail with
tapering turned balusters and knob finials flanking central gate; choir stalls
made up from C17 woodwork, possibly a screen; C17 pulpit with bolection frame to
panels, tester with ogee cupola and with C13 lead coffin cross mounted on rear
panel; C17 box pews with knob finials, partly made up from screens with arcaded
frieze; octagonal font with thick stem and broached base, C17 cover with 4 ogee
ribs and inscription "BAPTIZETVR VNVS QVISQVE VESTRVM NOMINE IESV CHRISTI. ACTA
2, 38"; royal coat of arms dated 1830 above north door; oak parish chest near
south door. VCH ii, pp.38-9.


Listing NGR: SE5183175112

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.