This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2755 / 54°16'31"N
Longitude: -1.4945 / 1°29'40"W
OS Eastings: 433017
OS Northings: 486768
OS Grid: SE330867
Mapcode National: GBR LM00.73
Mapcode Global: WHD87.0SMP
Entry Name: Allerthorpe Hall
Listing Date: 5 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150769
English Heritage Legacy ID: 332663
Location: Swainby with Allerthorpe, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL7
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Swainby with Allerthorpe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SWAINBY WITH ALLERTHORPE GATENBY ROAD
SE 38 NW
(south side, off)
2/32 Allerthorpe Hall
Manor house. Dated 1608. Red brick, some stone dressings, pantile and
plain tile roofs. 2 storeys, 6 bays. Outer bays are formed by circular
towers. Shallow stone plinth. To centre a full-height gabled porch: outer
opening with 4-centred arch; inner doorway has carved wooden surround with
inscribed date and studded 9-panel door with original ironwork. Outer bays
have 4-pane leaded casements. Wide bay to left of door has tripartite sash
with glazing bars. To right of door first bay has sash with glazing bars,
bay to right of this has 2-light mullion windows. Above the door is an 8-
pane side-sliding sash. Other bays have similar windows as those below.
Gable of porch has stone coping and shaped kneelers. Dentilled eaves.
Conical roofs to outer bays, central 4 bays have hipped roof with three
lateral gabled ranges on the north side. Two large ridge stacks to rear of
front range, one to left has 4-diagonally set shafts, that to right has 6
similar shafts. To left return on first floor there is half timbering with
lath and plaster infill, lower horizontal beam is carved, original stone
mullion window to this side. Interior: ground floor - 2 early C17 panelled
rooms, above one fireplace is a 3-panel overmantel with Ionic pilasters
flanking carved arches and supporting frieze with anthemion and acanthus
motifs with cornice. First floor: early C17 panelled room with similar
overmantel as on ground floor of 2 panels. History: in 1550 Sir Thomas
Lascelles Kt conveyed Manor to a Wm Robinson, Alderman of the City of York.
It stayed in the Robinson Family until quite recent times. VCH, Vol 1 pp
Listing NGR: SE3301786768
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings