This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1808 / 54°10'50"N
Longitude: -1.3341 / 1°20'2"W
OS Eastings: 443561
OS Northings: 476319
OS Grid: SE435763
Mapcode National: GBR MN33.Z1
Mapcode Global: WHD8W.G5YR
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 9 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150818
English Heritage Legacy ID: 332586
Location: Dalton, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO7
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Dalton
Built-Up Area: Dalton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
1439/6/4 MAIN STREET
06-NOV-03 (North side)
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
Church. 1868 by William Butterfield. Banded ashlar and rock-faced coursed squared
stone, Welsh slate roof. Nave with western bellcote tower and south porch,
chancel with south transept and north vestry. Quoins.
Nave: 4 bays. Bays divided by offset angle buttresses. Windows are cusped lancets, right-hand bay has two windows. Gabled south porch to left with pointed-arched doorway with hoodmould, stone coping and gable cross.
West end has central half-enclosed narrow tower with sill band and hoodmould to lancet. Above to second stage is a clockface, this stage is corbelled inwards and rises to form octagonal belfry above with 4 lancet openings. Eaves band with stone
spirelet. Second stage of tower flanked by quatrefoil nave windows.
Chancel: 2 bays with gabled south transept which has 2-light plate traceried
window with hoodmould.
East end: central offset buttress with small elongated sexfoil window and hoodmould above flanked by tall cusped lancets with hoodmoulds. Contemporary north vestry with gabled doorway. Stone copings to all gables and gable cross to chancel.
Interior: red brick with bands of stone and vitrified blue brick. In chancel much patterning in tiles and brick. Timber rood screen with tall central cusped arch flanked by lower cusped arches, with cusped arch and quatrefoil trellis work above. Inlaid marble and coloured stone reredos, flanked to sides by pointed-arched recesses for seats with decorative patterned tile work. Fine Butterfield
brass chandelier to chancel and stone font to nave. Canted wagon roof.
A very complete Butterfield interior.
Stained glass by William Morris & Co, west window of St John the Evangelist, Christ and angels to east end and Annunciation in the chancel north window.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.