History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Police Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Aiskew, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2903 / 54°17'25"N

Longitude: -1.5874 / 1°35'14"W

OS Eastings: 426952

OS Northings: 488374

OS Grid: SE269883

Mapcode National: GBR KLCT.3T

Mapcode Global: WHC71.LF9B

Entry Name: Police Station

Listing Date: 29 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150911

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332296

Location: Aiskew, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL8

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Aiskew

Built-Up Area: Bedale

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Bedale

Listing Text

AISKEW A 684
SE 28 NE
(south side)
6/13 Police Station

_ II

Police station. 1904. Random coursed squared stone and ashlar, graduated
stone slate roof. Main 2-storey, 4-bay block with a 2-storey, 2-bay block
at a right angle on left to front. To rear of main block to sight a 1-
storey wing. Neo-Jacobean. Main block: central board door in moulded
chamfered quoined surround with 4-centred arch; flanked by chamfered 4-light
mullion-and-transom windows with central major mullions. To right bay a
small one-light chamfered window with arched head. Moulded first-floor
string course, stepped above door. Above central 2-light chamfered mullion
window flanked by 4-light chamfered mullioned windows, with central major
mullions. Bracketed eaves. 2 ridge stacks. Left court house wing: plinth,
left return has large 4-light chamfered mullion-and-transom window through
both floors. To left a board door in chamfered surround with 4-centred arch
and hoodmould. First floor: 4-light chamfered mullion window. This bay is
gableted. To gable end a 4-light chamfered mullion window and a small one-
light opening with arched head to its right. Above a coat of arms in a
Doric surround; sill on consoles, pilasters with obelisks over, frieze,
cornice. In the frieze is the inscription 'Pax et Justitia', below the
coat of arms it is inscribed 'Court house erected AD 1904'. To left return
of main block is a full-height gabled porch with board door in chamfered
moulded surround and 4-centred arch. 2 ridge stacks to main block and one
to rear.


Listing NGR: SE2695288374

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.