This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0315 / 54°1'53"N
Longitude: -1.2205 / 1°13'13"W
OS Eastings: 451156
OS Northings: 459786
OS Grid: SE511597
Mapcode National: GBR MPXT.KK
Mapcode Global: WHD9J.7X2Q
Entry Name: Newton on Ouse Church of England School
Listing Date: 20 October 1986
Last Amended: 21 January 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151008
English Heritage Legacy ID: 332116
Location: Newton-on-Ouse, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO30
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Newton-on-Ouse
Built-Up Area: Newton-on-Ouse
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Newton-on-Ouse All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 56 NW
CHERRY TREE AVENUE
Newton-on-Ouse Church of England School
School and masters house. 1854 (Bulmer and Co p 768). For the Hon Payan Dawney of Beningbrough Hall. Red brick in English garden wall bond, ashlar dressings, Welsh and green slate roofs. Single-storey gabled school, 2 rooms deep on left; 2-storey, 2-bay house on right. Quoins, chamfered plinths. School: offset diagonal buttresses; a flat-arched window with transom and 4 trefoil-headed lights under brick relieving arch: cusped spherical triangle in apex. Ashlar coping with fleur-de-lis finial. House: roll-moulded pointed-arch doorway on left has board door with decorative wrought-iron hinges. On right, bay window with moulded base, 3 trefoil-headed lights and stone roof. Above, 2 windows each with 2 round-headed lights. All windows have glazing bars. Eaves band. Moulded corbels to ashlar coping. Ridge cresting. Ridge stacks with moulded caps. Rear: school - window similar to front window but of 3-lights with a round-arched, single-light window to left; lateral stack on left. House: a 2-light and a 3-light window to ground floor; 2 2-light windows above; all as front. Single-storey range at right angles on left with shouldered doorway. Left return (schoolrooms): 3 bays defined by off-set buttresses; central 3- light window flanked by 2-light windows, all with trefoil-headed lights. 4th bay on left, lower and set back with angle buttresses and a 3-light window. Bulmer, T, and Co, Directory of North Yorkshire, 1890.
Listing NGR: SE5115659786
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings