History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Greyhound Stone Approximately 300 Metres East of Junction with Hartcliff Hill Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Penistone, Barnsley

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5115 / 53°30'41"N

Longitude: -1.661 / 1°39'39"W

OS Eastings: 422579

OS Northings: 401695

OS Grid: SE225016

Mapcode National: GBR JWVT.6Z

Mapcode Global: WHCBP.GZ8X

Entry Name: Greyhound Stone Approximately 300 Metres East of Junction with Hartcliff Hill Road

Listing Date: 27 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1151033

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334046

Location: Penistone, Barnsley, S36

County: Barnsley

Civil Parish: Penistone

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Thurlstone St Saviour

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Langsett

Listing Text

PENISTONE HARTCLIFF ROAD
SE20SW
(north side)
3/19 Greyhound stone
approx. 300 metres
east of junction with
Hartcliff Hill Road

II

Boundary marker. Date uncertain but probably medieval. Sandstone post.
Rectangular with elliptical panel with bas-relief of a running greyhound.
Above, later inscribed initials 'M W P'.
The stone is mentioned in accounts of the boundaries of the parish of
Thurlstone in the time of Henry VIII and of Langsett in 1695. It is
mentioned in the Enclosure Act of 1814 relating to the parishes of Penistone,
Langsett and Thurlstone. It is thought to mark the boundaries of William
Payne and Lord Melbourne, the former purchasing the manor of Langsett from
Lord Melbourne in 1814. It has been suggested (Dransfield) that the initials
'M W P' refer to these names and were added at this time. In 1984 the stone
was moved back to its original site, according to the 1814 documents.
The stone is on the boundary of the parishes of Penistone and Langsett.

J. H. Dransfield, Historv of Penistane, 1906.


Listing NGR: SE2257901695

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.