This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5275 / 53°31'39"N
Longitude: -1.4673 / 1°28'2"W
OS Eastings: 435410
OS Northings: 403558
OS Grid: SE354035
Mapcode National: GBR LW6N.46
Mapcode Global: WHDCX.FLJL
Entry Name: Church of Our Lady and St James
Listing Date: 4 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151051
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333984
Location: Barnsley, S70
Electoral Ward/Division: Worsbrough
Built-Up Area: Worsbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Worsbrough St Thomas and St James
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
WORSBROUGH WEST STREET
SE30SE (north side)
2/108 Church of Our Lady
and St. James
Church. 1902 by T. H. and F. Healey of Bradford, patron S. J. Cooper
(Plan register, 1901; Kelly's Directory, 1912). Thinly-coursed sandstone,
graduated Westmorland slate roof. 3-bay nave with south porch, narrower chancel
with south tower in angle with nave, adjoining vestry on east. Nave: porch to
bay 1 has double-chamfered arch with floral-stopped hoodmould, gable copings with
cross. String course on right beneath windows of 3 : 2 and 1 lights, buttress
between the first two. West window has buttress between 2 sets of 3 lancets with
hoodmoulds; vesica. Tower: south priest's door with string course rising as
hoodmould. Quoined slit windows beneath offset ashlar belfry stage having
semi-octagonal corner piers and flanking 2-light trefoiled openings; continuous
hoodmould. Short lead-covered spire with corner spirelets and turret at north-east
corner. Gabled south vestry has ashlar panel with 3-light mullioned window;
central light taller, transomed and cusped. Chancel windows of 2 and 1 lights,
corbel table to ashlar-coped parapet. East window of 3 cusped lights divided by
shafts, outer lights blind. East and west gable copings with crosses.
Interior: simple Gothic-Revival styled interior with marble font and wall paintings
above chancel arch. Originally dedicated to St. James, now in Roman Catholic use,
the Anglican congregation being accommodated at the Church of St. Thomas and
St. James (q.v.). Adjoining buildings at east end not of special interest.
Worsbrough U.D.C. Plan Register 1901 plan 22 (held in Barnsley Local Studies Library).
Kelly's Directory, West Riding, 1912, vol 1, p996.
Listing NGR: SE3541003558
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings