This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5232 / 53°31'23"N
Longitude: -1.5251 / 1°31'30"W
OS Eastings: 431580
OS Northings: 403047
OS Grid: SE315030
Mapcode National: GBR KWSP.MS
Mapcode Global: WHCBR.JPZY
Entry Name: Stainborough Castle
Listing Date: 18 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151069
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333925
Location: Stainborough, Barnsley, S75
Civil Parish: Stainborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Silkstone All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
STAINBOROUGH WENTWORTH CASTLE
1/50 Stainborough Castle
Gothick folly. 1728-30 for Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford. Coursed,
dressed sandstone, ashlar dressings. Roughly-circular curtain wall with 4 square
guard towers and with large gatehouse on east side with archway originally beneath
4 circular turrets of which 2 remain. Remaining gatehouse towers have offset
buttresses and round-headed openings beneath deep band, round-headed lights on
each floor above. Wall linking towers has tall, rusticated, round-arched doorway
with concave reveals, impost band and keystone; 2nd floor band. Inner tower
incomplete above 4th storey; link wall and outer tower are embattled. Guard
towers: projecting sills to round-headed, ground-floor lights, quatrefoils beneath
embattled parapets. Much of curtain wall reconstructed and with embattlements.
Important as the 2nd Gothick castle in England after Lord Bathurst's "King Alfred's
Hall" in Oakley Wood, Cirencester. Built on hill fort site and formed climax of
the 1st Earl's garden layout. The towers were supposedly named after his 4
children; Anne, Harriet, Lucy and William. The building was already in disrepair
by 1755 when John Platt of Rotherham was engaged to rebuild part of the gatehouse.
Again undergoing reconstruction at time of resurvey.
J. E. Humphrey, 'A Prospect of Stainborough', unpub. thesis, Sheffield, 1982,
pp334-5 also appendix 27.
Listing NGR: SE3158003047
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings