This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4946 / 53°29'40"N
Longitude: -1.4179 / 1°25'4"W
OS Eastings: 438716
OS Northings: 399927
OS Grid: SK387999
Mapcode National: GBR LXJ1.T0
Mapcode Global: WHDD4.6F29
Entry Name: 1-3, Distillery Side
Listing Date: 21 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151089
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333877
Location: Barnsley, S74
Electoral Ward/Division: Hoyland Milton
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Hoyland
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Elsecar Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
HOYLAND NETHER DISTILLERY SIDE
SK39NE (east side),
21.4.86 Nos 1-3 (consec)
Cottages, formerly National School. 1836 for the Fitzwilliam estate, altered.
Coursed, squared sandstone, stone slate roof. 2 storeys with partial basement,
3 bays. 2 left-hand bays: blocked basement doorway with ashlar surround, flanked
by windows, also blocked, with ashlar surrounds and deep lintels. Damaged casements
with glazing bars on each floor above have projecting sills and deep lintels.
Right bay: 2-light horizontally-sliding sash with glazing bars on each floor to
right. Small casements between bays at each mid-floor height, those to right paired.
End stacks with tabling, similar ridge stack to left of centre. Rear: rewindowed
2-storey facade having paired, boarded doorways between 2 windows on left, and
single doorway to right with window beyond; all windows 3-light iron casements with
concrete sills and lintels. Used as the National School until the construction of
the nearby railway line caused difficulty of access and a new school was built
next to the Church of the Holy Trinity. The cottages gained their name from a tar
distillery which existed close by from 1814-18. Unoccupied at time of
resurvey. Included for group value with Elsecar Newcomen Engine House which is a
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: SK3871699927
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings