This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5552 / 53°33'18"N
Longitude: -1.6424 / 1°38'32"W
OS Eastings: 423785
OS Northings: 406567
OS Grid: SE237065
Mapcode National: GBR JWZB.69
Mapcode Global: WHCBH.RW2W
Entry Name: Gunthwaite Hall Barn Approximately 50 Metres North of Gunthwaite Hall (East Part)
Listing Date: 25 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151106
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333814
Location: Gunthwaite and Ingbirchworth, Barnsley, S36
Civil Parish: Gunthwaite and Ingbirchworth
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Denby St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE20NW GUNTHWAITE AND INGBIRCHWORTH GUNHWAITE LANE
2/34 Gunthwaite Hall
barn approx 50m
25.2.52 Gunthwaite Hall
Barn. Mid C16, dividing wall c1800, re-roofed c1978. For Godfrey Bosvile
(1520-80) lord of the manors of Gunthwaite and Oxpring. Coursed squared
rubble lower walls, timber-framed upper part, stone slate roof. 11 internal
bays fully-aisled at each side. South elevation into farmyard has full-height
harr-hung cart-doors (renewed) to bays 3 and 9. Bay 6 formerly with similar
door is now walled-up. To left of bay 3 and to the right of bay 9 is a small
doorway with pegged timber surround and ogee head. Ventilation slits (one per bay)
with chamfered surrounds in the stone lower walls. Diagonal strutting to the
upper walls. A later building adjoining at bays 4 and 5 is not of special interest.
Rear: opposed full-height cart entrances with harr-hung doors, to bays 3, 6 and 9.
Chamfered ventilation slits as front. Vertical close studding to upper walls with
irregular bracing. Bays 7 and 8 have been fully stone-walled at a later date.
Left and right return gables are fully stone-walled.
Interior: dividing wall between bays 5 and 6. Twelve king-post trusses with struts
arch-braced to ridge. Jowelled posts with lifting holes on stone footings,
arch-braced to arcade plates and to tie-beams. Straight aisle-ties braced to
wall posts. The truss to the left abuts the end wall, the truss to the right is
built into the end wall. All members are extensively stop-chamfered. In the cart
bays the arcade braces are smaller and spring from a higher point to give headroom.
Bays 10 and 11 contain later cattle-stalls.
An excellent and complete barn unique in this area.
Stanley Jones,'Gunthwaite Hall Barn( Archaelogical Journal, vol. 137, 1980, p99.
Listing NGR: SE2378506567
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings