This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5551 / 53°33'18"N
Longitude: -1.6433 / 1°38'35"W
OS Eastings: 423728
OS Northings: 406558
OS Grid: SE237065
Mapcode National: GBR JWZB.19
Mapcode Global: WHCBH.QWPY
Entry Name: Stable Range Approximately 30 Metres West of Gunthwaite Hall Barn
Listing Date: 25 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151107
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333815
Location: Gunthwaite and Ingbirchworth, Barnsley, S36
Civil Parish: Gunthwaite and Ingbirchworth
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Denby St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE20NW GUNTHWAITE AND INGBIRCHWORTH GUNTHWAITE LANE
2/35 approx. 30 metres
25.2.52 west of
Gunthwaite Hall barn
Stable range. Dated 1699; range at 90°, C18. For Godfrey Bosvile III (d.1714).
Coursed squared rubble, asbestos sheet roof. Rectangular plan with wing at 90°.
Two storeys, 4 bays. Chamfered plinth. Quoins. Near-central entrance with
quoined surround and deep, chamfered lintel inscribed: 'G. B.
Similar door to right. Four double-chamfered cross windows. Continuous ground-floor
drip-mould. Four 2-light double-chamfered windows to 1st floor, and plaque over
main door with Bosvile coat of arms (badly eroded). The left bay is gabled and in
the apex is a 2-light double-chamfered window between 2 drip-moulds. Chamfered
gable copings on cut kneelers. Ball finials on short pedestals. Rear: new or
altered ground-floor openings. Four 2-light double-chamfered windows to 1st floor.
Left return: cross window to ground floor, 3-light window to 1st floor with hoodmould
2-light window to gable apex between drip-moulds, (as front), with dovecote openings
above and to each side. The range at 90° to right, now a milking parlour has various
door and window openings with square-cut surrounds.
Interior: the main range has 6 king-post trusses with struts, braced to ridge.
The truss to left has diagonal infill strutting. To the right one truss is infilled
and has Cl7 panelling below. Remains of nesting boxes in left bay. The milking
parlour is said to contain a cruck truss
N. W. Alcock, Catalogue of Cruck Buildings (1973).
Listing NGR: SE2372806558
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings