This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5547 / 53°33'16"N
Longitude: -1.4788 / 1°28'43"W
OS Eastings: 434625
OS Northings: 406580
OS Grid: SE346065
Mapcode National: GBR LW3B.MG
Mapcode Global: WHDCQ.8X18
Entry Name: Court House Building
Listing Date: 27 February 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151122
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333751
Location: Barnsley, S70
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Barnsley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Barnsley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE30NW BARNSLEY REGENT STREET
Court House building. 1861 by Reeves. Ashlar. Welsh slate roof. Two
storeys and attic. Italianate style. 6 x 5 bays, on corner site. Near-
symmetrical facade has rusticated ground floor and with vermiculated quoins.
Doorway to 1st and 4th bays, the latter with consoles supporting a break in
the ground-floor cornice surmounted by the Royal coat of arms. Ground-floor
openings all have segmental heads with elongated vermiculated keystones and
plain raised architraves. Sash windows with marginal glazing. Tall round-
arched lst-floor windows are archivolted and have elongated vermiculated
keystones and spandrels. Vermiculated panels to the piers between the windows.
Sunken aprons and dentilled sills. 6-light casements with circular wooden
tracery to the window heads. Deep frieze with paired consoles supporting the
heavy modillioned eaves cornice. Between the consoles are small attic windows.
Hipped roof. Ornamental ashlar stacks with vermiculated panels, cornices and
caps. The right return elevation is similar with 2 blind ground-floor windows.
Interior: Staircase with decorative iron balusters and ramped wooden handrail.
lst-floor hall with round-arched bays marked by pilasters and panelled ceiling.
The building was converted to use as a railway station building in 1870 and
remained as such until 1962.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.
Listing NGR: SE3462506580
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings