This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5453 / 53°32'42"N
Longitude: -1.3222 / 1°19'20"W
OS Eastings: 445008
OS Northings: 405616
OS Grid: SE450056
Mapcode National: GBR MW6F.JV
Mapcode Global: WHDCZ.N4KY
Entry Name: Church of St Helen
Listing Date: 23 August 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151168
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333662
Location: Barnsley, S63
Electoral Ward/Division: Dearne North
Built-Up Area: Thurnscoe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Thurnscoe St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SE40NE DEARNE HIGH STREET
4/34 Church of St. Helen
Church. Tower 1729, otherwise late C19, nave dated 1887, some Gothic
fragments. Limestone ashlar tower, C19 work in rock-faced sandstone,
red tile roofs, stone slates to chancel. West tower, 4-bay nave with
south porch, lower 2-bay chancel with separately- roofed south chapel.
Tower: plinth, rusticated quoins, band to each stage. Round-headed
west window with sill blocks, architrave, moulded imposts and keystone.
Within the opening, set back, a Decorated 3-light window. Blind keyed
oculus to 2nd stage, similar openings to each return louvred. Bell
openings louvred and in surrounds as west window. Cornice breaking
forward at corners, parapet with moulded coping. Nave: chamfered
plinth. Porch to bay 1. Central offset buttress with, to left, 1 pair
of lancets with shared hoodmould and, to right, 2 similar paired lights.
Chamfered band to eaves, moulded kneelers and ashlar gable copings.
South chapel: set forward. Central and angle buttresses, windows as
nave but with cusped lights and animals carved on hoodmould stops.
Coved eaves course, gables as nave. East window: 3 cusped lancets,
central light taller, linked hoodmoulds.
Interior: narrow single-chamfered tower arch. Nave windows have inner
surrounds with detached octagonal colonnettes between cusped-headed
openings with quatrefoil above. Chancel: sunken chantry chapel, now
vestry, has 2-bay arcade with cylindrical column, carved capital, responds
and hoodmould to easternmost arch with carved head stops. Fragments of
medieval work set in chapel walls. Attractive window to St. Cecilia
dated 1885 at north-east end of chancel. Unusual C18 font: wooden bowl
with gadrooned base and acanthus-carved cover set on short cylindrical
stone column. Rood screen: in Gothic style, probably C19 but may
include earlier work particularly the well-carved figures of Christ,
the Virgin Mary and St. John.
Listing NGR: SE4500805616
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings