This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5357 / 53°32'8"N
Longitude: -1.3021 / 1°18'7"W
OS Eastings: 446352
OS Northings: 404559
OS Grid: SE463045
Mapcode National: GBR MWBK.W9
Mapcode Global: WHDCZ.ZD3B
Entry Name: Church of St John and St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 23 August 1963
Last Amended: 18 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151169
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333666
Location: Barnsley, S63
Electoral Ward/Division: Dearne North
Built-Up Area: Goldthorpe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Goldthorpe St John Evangelist and St Mary Magdelene
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SE40SE DEARNE LOCKWOOD ROAD
7/38 Church of St. John
and St. Mary Magdalene
23.8.63 (formerly listed as Church of
Saint John the Evangelist and
Saint Mary Magdalen)
Church. 1914-1916. By A. Y. Nutt. Reinforced concrete with exposed
aggregate,pantile roof. 5-bay nave with aisles embracing square tower
at south-west corner, 2-bay apsidal chancel with south chapel and gabled
projections to north. Simplified Italianate style. Rectangular and
tall round-headed lights in projecting square-faced surrounds, pilaster-
strips at angles and between bays linking to projecting bands at eaves
and verges. West front: shallow projecting porch flanked by small
rectangular windows above which are tall round-headed lights. Central
sculpture of Christ on the Cross set beneath moulded segmental canopy.
Flanking strips continued to verge and crossed by band at eaves level.
Tower to right: 3 stages with 2 rectangular windows to lower stages,
to upper stage a tall arcade of 4 round-headed openings to each side.
Hipped roof surmounted by large clock in decorative wood framework
beneath a domed cupola. Nave: windows grouped 3 : 2 : 3 : 2 : 3, all
round-headed with iron glazing bars, pilaster-strips between bays,
reinforcing now exposed. Lower chancel in similar style: 4 round-
headed lights to north chapel, small 3-light windows to apse.
Interior: gallery at west end, 5 bay arcades with tall round arches,
concrete tie-beam to each bay. Heavily-carved hexagonal wooden-pulpit,
C18 Flemish. Imposing concrete baldicchino with tall Corinthian columns
and imposts beneath an open segmental pediment.
An early experiment in ferro-concrete construction now showing some of
its faults. The tower forms a notable landmark.
Listing NGR: SE4635204559
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings