This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5535 / 53°33'12"N
Longitude: -1.438 / 1°26'16"W
OS Eastings: 437327
OS Northings: 406463
OS Grid: SE373064
Mapcode National: GBR LWDB.GX
Mapcode Global: WHDCQ.WYD6
Entry Name: Monk Bretton Priory Remains
Listing Date: 6 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151178
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333686
Location: Barnsley, S71
Electoral Ward/Division: Monk Bretton
Built-Up Area: Barnsley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Lundwood St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE30NE BARNSLEY ABBEY LANE
4/1 Cundy Cross
6.2.52 Monk Bretton
Monk Bretton Priory remains. C12- late C15. Coursed, squared rubble and
ashlar. The complex consists of the church to the north with cloister to
the south side of the nave. To the west of the cloister is a north-south
range with a gatehouse to west of this. A north-south range to the east
of the cloister and the refectory to the south with kitchens further south.
To the south-east is the reredorter and guest house and to the east the
separate infirmary. Most of the remains are only a few feet high and show
the plan only, but the west range and gatehouse survive, in part, to two
storeys. The church is mainly of later C12 date,the north and west walls
rebuilt in the mid C14. The Cistercian type plan consists of a 4-bay aisled
nave, north and south transepts each with 2 east chapels, and an aisless
presbytery with C15 sacristy to south. The west range, mainly C14, altered in
the C16, formerly the prior's lodgings with cellar below, and later a house,
has, at north end lst-floor level a good fireplace with moulded jambs with
capitals, crenellated mantel and tapering stone breast. West of this is a
gateway with 2 cambered-headed entrances to north and south and the remains of
timber studding on its west wall. Part of the south wall of the refectory
stands with 2 tall, late C13 windows, of 2 and 3 lights, both with Geometric
tracery. South of the reredorter is the well-preserved drainage system with
splayed stone sides. A penstock controlled water, pumped from the priory mill
¼ mile away (q.v.), to flush the system.
The monastery of St. Mary Magdalen was founded c1154 for the Monks of the Order
of Cluny and colonised from La Charité-sur-Loire. It became Benedictine in 1281.
After the Dissolution in 1583 the priory passed through various hands until
acquired by Barnsley Borough who, in 1932, placed the ruins in the care of the
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Dr. J. W. Walker, The Priory of St. Mary Magdalen,
Yorkshire Archaeological Society, 1926.
Rose Graham and R. Gilyard-Beer, Monk Bretton Priory, Yorkshire.
D. of E. Official Handbook, 1966.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.
Listing NGR: SE3731006529
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings