History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stocking Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Crayke, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1378 / 54°8'15"N

Longitude: -1.1471 / 1°8'49"W

OS Eastings: 455817

OS Northings: 471659

OS Grid: SE558716

Mapcode National: GBR NNFL.FH

Mapcode Global: WHD95.B8Z8

Entry Name: Stocking Hall

Listing Date: 17 May 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1151281

English Heritage Legacy ID: 333417

Location: Crayke, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Crayke

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Crayke St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Crayke

Listing Text

SE 57 SE CRAYKE CRAYKE LANE
2/17 (east side)

17.5.60 Stocking Hall

II

House of 2 builds and barn. Mid-late C17 house with lower extension to left
probably C17 with later alterations. Barn C18. House, main section: long, narrow
red-brown local brick. Iron ties to gable end. Steeply pitched swept pantile roof
with catslide to either side or gabled wing to rear. Central ridge chimney. Two
storeys, 3 bays with outshot and gabled staircase wing to rear. Central lobby-entry
plan. Moulded string at plinth height. C20 door in wide painted surround with cyma
moulding above. Segmental brick pediment with cyma recta moulding and modillions.
Modern casements under brick modillion pediments. Single-light window over
entrance, C20 casement to left and Yorkshire sash to right. Stepped eaves.
Interior: half-turn closed-string oak staircase with short turned balusters, moulded
handrail and square newels. Chamfered beam with tongued stop to main room.
Extension to left probably originally timber-framed, clad in C18 red brick. Pantile
roof with ridge chimney. Two storeys, 2 bays. Central half-glazed door. C19 sash
and C20 casements. Dentilled eaves. End walls show posts and end plates with
braces and tie beam.
Interior: beamed ceiling with deep transverse beam with tongued chamfer stops.
Barn: red brick, pantile roof. Wagon entrance and pitching doors.
The house is an interesting example of early brickwork in the region.


Listing NGR: SE5581771659

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.