This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0816 / 54°4'53"N
Longitude: -1.2447 / 1°14'40"W
OS Eastings: 449513
OS Northings: 465334
OS Grid: SE495653
Mapcode National: GBR MPR7.BM
Mapcode Global: WHD99.VNHW
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 17 May 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151297
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333349
Location: Alne, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Alne
Built-Up Area: Alne
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Alne St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 46 NE ALNE CHURCH WYND
17.5.60 Church of St Mary
Church. C12 with C14, C15 and C18 alterations and additions. Sandstone. Roof not
visible. Single-bay chancel with C14 north chapel. 3-bay nave with C15 north arcade.
West tower remodelled in 1766 with addition of brick bell stage. Chancel: Surviving
C12 details are the head corbel table; deeply-splayed round arched lancet to the north
wall and the lintel of the south door carved with a twining serpent held by 2 eagles
(possibly early C12: Pevsner). C14 Decorated east window. Wide continuously
chamfered round arch with no capitals to north chapel. Reticulated east window to
north chapel. Nave arcade of chamfered 2-centred arches with octagonal piers and plain
capitals. C15 flat-arched windows with trefoil headed lights, those to the south have
glass by Kempe 1883. Round tower arch with strong roll mouldings and semi- circular
responds of alternating bands of pink and white. Square abaci and simple volute
capitals with cable moulding to neck. South door of nave probably mid C12:- 2 orders
of shafts, outer one replaced, with large square abaci with intricate decoration. Arch
has medallions to inner order depicting the Agnus Dei, signs of zodiac and labours of
the months. The outer order of lunettes contains a bestiary. A few replaced
voussoirs. Somewhat weathered but very fine. Octagonal carved oak pulpit dated 1626.
Norman font with foliate scroll decoration. Early C14 alabaster effigy of lady in
North chapel. Commemorative plaque to John Pearson dated 1695 in tower.
Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, North Riding 1966 p59-60.
Stone, L., Sculpture in Britian. The Middle Ages, 1972, p78, ill.58A.
Listing NGR: SE4951665335
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings