History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saints Gregory and Cuthbert

A Grade II Listed Building in Kildale, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4781 / 54°28'40"N

Longitude: -1.0689 / 1°4'8"W

OS Eastings: 460430

OS Northings: 509587

OS Grid: NZ604095

Mapcode National: GBR NJZN.DJ

Mapcode Global: WHF8L.KP6X

Entry Name: Church of Saints Gregory and Cuthbert

Listing Date: 23 June 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1151363

English Heritage Legacy ID: 333197

Location: Kildale, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO21

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Kildale

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kildale St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Kildale

Listing Text

KILDALE STATION ROAD
NZ 60 NW
North side (off)
6/138 Church of Saints
23/6/66 Gregory and Cuthbert

GV II

Parish church. Rebuilt on site of previous church 1868, by Fowler
Jones of York (Pevsner, p.207). Rock-faced stone with ashlar
dressings; Welsh slate roofs; ashlar copings and ridges. 2-stage
west tower; 4-bay nave with north aisle and south porch; lower 2-bay
chancel with north vestry. In Decorated style. Quoins; chamfered
plinth; buttresses with offsets; eaves band; gable crosses. Tower:
corner buttresses; south-east vice with trefoil band below attached
stone spire with grotesque finial; 2-light west window below band
of 3 coats of arms; slit windows at top of lower stage; louvred
belfry opening with hoodmould to each side; corner gargoyles linked
by dentilled eaves band; pyramidal roof with weather vane. Nave:
gabled porch has tripartite-headed doorway with hoodmould and open-
traceried double door (now glazed): medieval carved stones in gable,
central one with flower. 1-light window to left of porch, 2 of 3
lights to right having cusped lights below cinquefoils all with
hoodmoulds. North aisle has 4 cusped lights and a 2-light plate-
tracery window to west end. Chancel: priest's door with hoodmould
flanked by 1-light windows; 3-light east window. Interior: in
porch 4 medieval grave covers, 2 having raised crosses with fleur-
de-lis terminals, one with inscribed fleury cross, and the 4th with
inscribed cross and sword. At west end, circular head of medieval
cross. East window 1898 by Kempe (Pevsner p207). Probably C16
font, having circular base and column supporting circular basin
with tapering ribs. Probably C12 font, circular, with roll-moulded
base and slightly tapered sides.

N. Pevsner, Buildings of England : Yorkshire, The North Riding,
(1981).


Listing NGR: NZ6043009587

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.